Lost contact with Router attached USB

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dutchenery

Lost contact with Router attached USB

Post by dutchenery »

After hundreds of hours trawling through the many forums, with lots of well-meant but useless information I wonder whether Mint updates are at fault? I have run a router (BT5) with attached 1Tb USB drive for well over a year. I use it to backup all the files via fwbackups. But suddenly it stopped working. Normally I would just input ‘mount -a’ and the drive would pop up as NAS. The fstab line has not changed except some of the information said that Linux updates necessitated including ‘Vers=1.0’ in the ftstab line.
The full line is as follows:
//192.168.1.254/usb1 /media/nas cifs rw,credentials=/home/computer/.credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=1.0 0 0
(One continuous line)

To no avail. The result of Vers=1.0 is ‘Permission denied’. If the Vers=1.0 is taken out the error message is ‘Host is down’. Obviously something has changed within Mint 18.3. I am not sure what. I cannot change permissions of the /media/nas directory unless I am overlooking the obvious. Anyone with the same problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dutchenery

SOLVED Re: Lost contact with Router attached USB

Post by dutchenery »

Sorry people, after some more late evening work the router now accepts a new user name. So by changing 'admin' to a new username the stuff works again.
I use a credentials file so it was easy to change it (when you finally think of it). BTW I am still not sure why we have to put in the fstab line 'vers=1', vers 2 and 3 do not work in my set-up.

Return to “Networking”