USB wifi dongle not working after reboot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nolesce

USB wifi dongle not working after reboot

Post by Nolesce »

I am running Mint 18.3 and have an ASUS usb wifi dongle.research showed I would need the rtl8822bu-master driver which I installed. Everything worked fine until a recent reboot. Now there is no wireless networking at all. Lsusb shows the device as ASUSTek Computer, Inc. But inxi -Fxz only lists the wired ethernet card and if config shows ethernet and loopback. I have reinstalled the driver but no change.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: USB wifi dongle not working after reboot

Post by JeremyB »

Post redults for

Code: Select all

modinfo 8822bu
or if that doesn't work

modinfo rtl8822bu
And results for

dkms status
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Re: USB wifi dongle not working after reboot

Post by mint4all »

Nolesce wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm I am running Mint 18.3 and have an ASUS usb wifi dongle.research showed I would need the rtl8822bu-master driver which I installed. Everything worked fine until a recent reboot. Now there is no wireless networking at all. Lsusb shows the device as ASUSTek Computer, Inc. But inxi -Fxz only lists the wired ethernet card and if config shows ethernet and loopback. I have reinstalled the driver but no change.
Greetings! As i have mentioned in my reply @ viewtopic.php?f=53&t=266788#p1459560, my wifi-dongle stopped working following a kernel upgrade to >4.4.0-112. No matter how i tried to re-install the correct RTL-driver (the one that worked up to 4.4.0-112), those newer kernel's default-driver, RTL8xxxu, overrode my working driver. Perhaps reverting back to an older kernel might work for you? Just a thought ...

Return to “Networking”