Can Linux be used for remote monitoring?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Can Linux be used for remote monitoring?

Post by SyncroScales »

Hello,

I am not sure where I should post this. I was wondering if Linux can be used for remote monitoring?

Security systems, or cameras and taking photos? I wanted to setup a camera to see if a skunk or rabbit was digging up a backyard. I would prefer to not use Windows.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
MintBean

Re: Can Linux be used for remote monitoring?

Post by MintBean »

Yes, of course. I would go with Ubuntu server.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the reply.

Is UbuntuServer the only one? Is it more designed for that type of thing?

Can Linux Mint Cinnamon or Mate or xfce do it? Is there a program?
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There's no special OS for monitoring cameras if that's what you're asking. Any Linux can do it. The real question is whether you want to be running a desktop 24/7 whilst the data streams to your HD. If so, use something like Mint. If not, use something like Ubuntu server and view the files over the network from another PC. There's camera software available but I've not tried any to make a recommendation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

SyncroScales wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:44 pm Hello,

I am not sure where I should post this. I was wondering if Linux can be used for remote monitoring?

Security systems, or cameras and taking photos? I wanted to setup a camera to see if a skunk or rabbit was digging up a backyard. I would prefer to not use Windows.

Thank you.
https://www.zoneminder.com/ This may help you
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
RobertoR

Post by RobertoR »

I would also vote for zoneminder, you can connect almost any camera on it including your laptop cam!
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Thank you for the replies.

Right now there is no need for 24/7. Being able to turn on the system remotely or if it takes a picture like a GoPro when an animal walks toward the camera. Desktop, laptop, phone and tablet access is a good thing. I will look at ZoneMinder.

With something like Ubuntu Server or ZoneMinder, can you watch or turn on the cameras with a computer you do not normally use such as at a library?

Return to “Networking”