Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

dialup using Mint Julia 10 longer receives data

Post by jaderiver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello Mint community...

Perhaps Minters did not have the time to wade through my lengthy post on this issue, so here, a much shorter request for suggestions:

Our older IBM PC, installed w/ Mint 10 Julia, has connected fine to the internet for three years using dialup and the pppconfig/pon/poff method. Recently, Gnome PPP GUI was also installed. Both methods make strong initial connection to our ISP. But now, after connecting to the ISP, ... no data, mainly from the receiving side. Intermittingly, a good connection happens, but very unreliable. Have brought up Julia's Administration==>Network Tools, which shows a modem setting while connected (versus Loopback or Ethernet). For awhile, tinkering w/these settings brought in a good signal, but now, nothing - so perhaps a coincidence. I am trying various suggestions found in these forums but need help, because I am a Mint/Linux terminal newbie.

Please tell me how to save changes in my /etc/resolv.conf file?

1) Have been trying to edit /etc/resolv.conf using # sudoedit /etc/resolv.conf
Cannot save changes, only modify temporary files.

2) Have found /etc/resolv.conf in NetworkManager.conf, but cannot make changes because the file is a "read only" file. How do I edit and save changes in this mode?

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Requests for terminal cut and pastes will be honored as soon as possible.
Thank you for taking time to read.
Last edited by jaderiver on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 18.2 MATE Sonya dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem

LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: dialup on IBM PC no longer receives data

Post by LindseyD. » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 am

It sounds more like it's your ISP. Have you gotten in touch with them?

PS: for anyone on dialup, I strongly recommend installing wwwoffle. I've posted about it someplace on this forum.
Mint17 KDE

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Re: dialup on IBM PC no longer receives data

Post by jaderiver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 am

LindseyD. wrote:It sounds more like it's your ISP. Have you gotten in touch with them?
Other computers in the house connect fine to ISP, and maintain connection.

LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: dialup no longer receives data *shorter post w/key quest

Post by LindseyD. » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Other computers in the house connect fine to ISP, and maintain connection.
Hmm ... only other thing I can think of is the actual wire. That is, the thing that plugs into your phone line & into your computer. I had this intermittancy problem with a monitor, and it turned out the wire was loose Or it could be the actual outlet has gone faulty. i.e., try some other plug you know works. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Mint17 KDE

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

dialup on IBM PC no longer receives data

Post by jaderiver » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Please see first posting about older PC, dialup and Mint Julia 10. Thank you!

(Will be posting a separate post about my ongoing issue w/not being able to connect new laptop/eNotebook (ASUS) using dialup and Maya Mate 13.)
Last edited by jaderiver on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Re: maya 13 dialup not recognized by system

Post by Oscar799 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:38 am

Posting the same question in two places tends to cause more confusion,not less - threads merged

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

dialup using Mint Julia 10 longer receives data

Post by jaderiver » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi Oscar799: Sorry you thought I was posting the same question. Not! The second dialup issue was related to Mint 13 Maya Mate on my new ASUS U56E eNotebook, which was why I posted with the recent Maya 13/dialup thread. The first dialup issue involved my husband's very old IBM PC which is installed with Mint 10 Julia. His problems are quite different from mine. He can get online, but no longer can surf or receive net data. With my new eNotebook/laptop, I cannot even connect to the Net to begin with using pppconfig or configuring /etc/resolv.conf... and trying to get information in that regard.

I totally understand you don't want issues to merge, but hopefully you agree these two issues are quite different. Again, I will be separately posting my new eNotebook/laptop dialup issue and posting anew, because current Maya users might notice and be able to shed light on my difficulty. After spending much time researching linmodems.org, this forum, ubuntu, etc.... still trying to make my laptop connect using dialup and Maya Mate. But! Like I said, I will post anew.

Thank you. It's a nice feeling to know the moderators are... moderating.
Respectfully,
jaderiver

Return to “Other networking topics”