LM13 and DialUp Modem 'no data traffic' [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gene

Re: LM13 and DialUp Modem 'no data traffic' [SOLVED]

Post by gene »

Hi,
I cant diagnose what problem you have from what you posted.
Check obvious things.

1. in Terminal, type dmesg
Look for the converter cable description near the bottom of the result.
It should read something obvious, like :

USB 2.0 to COM Device
Prolific Technology Inc.
pl2303 converter detected
registered new interface driver

or something similar.
This will confirm that the converter cable is good.

2b. If you have a fresh LM installation, re-install the system and go through the Dialup install procedure again.
(Reproduce the problem you have encountered).
In particular, I think LM 18 *requires* you to do step 6, that is; populate wvdial.conf with content.
To do this, in Terminal, type wvdialconf, with the modem connected.

2a. Before 2b. make sure you reboot the computer as per step 5. I've forgotten this many times, as well as forgetting to plug in the modem from the beginning. All these things will yield a different result, not connecting or no data traffic etc.

In LM18 xfce I only got a result by *actually being online* (wi-fi) while installing the .deb files, so that all the dependencies from the get-go, are sourced from online repositories and installed automatically. This method is unhelpful if your machine is not online in some way already, before then connecting online via dialup. But if you do have this scenario you could also try this.

I am not familiar with the modem you are using, but I assume it is a hardware dial-up modem.
Hope that helps.
G
centaurusa

Post by centaurusa »

gene wrote:1. in Terminal, type dmesg
Look for the converter cable description near the bottom of the result.
This will confirm that the converter cable is good.
[ 654.127364] usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Suggests that the adapter connection has been made successfully
2b. If you have a fresh LM installation, re-install the system and go through the Dialup install procedure again.
(Reproduce the problem you have encountered).
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)

The error message is very consistent.
In LM18 xfce I only got a result by *actually being online* (wi-fi) while installing the .deb files, so that all the dependencies from the get-go, are sourced from online repositories and installed automatically.

In LM18 Mate, there is no /usr/share/local-repository folder so the deb files have to be installed through the package manager, i.e. with a live Internet connection.
I am not familiar with the modem you are using, but I assume it is a hardware dial-up modem.
That is the case. The modem is similar to the US Robotics Sportster model.

Right now, I'm stuck. I can't think of an alternative way to proceed.
gene

Post by gene »

Suppose that everything is in order with the connection software.
The fact that you did actually dial out with your modem, suggests that something is working.
...maybe the problem is something else.

Possible that it's a quirk of the US Robotics modem.
Have a look here. (link below)
May have to play with the init string that talks to the US Robotics modem.

viewtopic.php?t=18198

And the link below describes a solution to an exit code=16 problem.
Something to do with dialout timing.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ug-details

G
centaurusa

Post by centaurusa »

gene wrote:Possible that it's a quirk of the US Robotics modem.
Actually, the modem works fine. I "solved" the problem by using a desktop computer instead of the laptop. The modem plugs directly into a serial port on the desktop and so doesn't need the USB-to-serial adapter cable. Once the modem connects and completes the handshaking, there is a series of communications to transfer the userid and password to the host.

It is this latter part of the process that failed to occur with the laptop and adapter cable. There was no data transfer and the modem timed out. Possibly, this behaviour is a quirk of the specific adapter cable that was used and the support for it under Mint; however, Mint reports (lsusb) the adapter as a Prolific product type so I would have expected it to work as you described. Certainly, all the steps you provided produced the expected responses, save for the final connection.

I have passed along the desktop, serial modem, and adapter cable back to my friend and so cannot attempt to troubleshoot the issue any longer. But, many thanks for all your assistance.

Return to “Networking”