Proxy works for FF, not for update manager / software center

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mjohn911

Proxy works for FF, not for update manager / software center

Post by mjohn911 »

I'm using Mint with KDE13 behind a corporate proxy for a linux box at work. I applied our system proxy in system settings > network settings > manually specified proxy.
http: proxy.xxx.xxx port 8080
ssl: proxy.xxx.xxx port 8080
ftp: proxy.xxx.xxx port 8080
socks proxy.xxx.xxx port 8080

After applying these settings, Firefox works, but I cannot get any software packages, updates, or use the apt-get commands from the terminal. I'm rather new to linux so please educate me on how to set up proxies for these (exactly what to type).

I had moved to Mint after trying the lastest Ubuntu, which, incidentally had an option to "apply system wide" in the proxy configuration box, and this made update manager and apt-get commands work from the terminal, but Mint seems to be missing this feature? But I hated the unity shell so now I'm with Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Proxy works for FF, not for update manager / software ce

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mjohn911.

I admit that I do not use the KDE desktop, but the Cinnamon and the xcfe desktops. So my steps may not apply literally. Yet I would be more than amazed if KDE did not offer the same configuration item.
In Cinnamon I go to Menu => Preferences => Network. Inside Network I select the third item, Network Proxy. Here I can specify my proxy settings manually and finally click on "Apply systemwide".

Doing so will work as expected, except for two things:
There is no way of entering the needed logon credentials for the proxy server in the "Network" dialogue. I need dconf editor to add those credentials (pretty inconvenient).
The badest thing is that commandline programes like apt(itude) are not impressed by these proxy settings at all.

Therefore I use the software cntlm as my local proxy. All local processes contact cntlm. cntlm in turn has been configured properly to authenticate on the company proxy. The company proxy connects me to the internet. cntlm is available in the regular software repositories. Perhaps cntlm will help you achieve your goal as well.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
mjohn911

Post by mjohn911 »

There does not appear to be any "apply system wide" option - or maybe its somewhere else?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mjohn911.

Hm. Well. This configuration dialogue does look different enough and does not have an option to "apply systemwide". :(
But, it does have the option to (_) Use system proxy configuration which suggests there should be a way of configuring such a proxy systemwide somewhere. - But this is merely a conclusion. I have to admit that I cannot tell where and how the systemwide proxy configuration can be performed in KDE. :oops:

Hopefully, some experienced KDE user will turn up and enlighten us.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
mjohn911

Post by mjohn911 »

Karl,

I tried the system configuration as shown in this screenshot.

However, when I check the "show the value of the environment variables," all the fields blank out, and I cannot enter values in there. So it indicates no proxy in the environment variables, and I think this is what software center / terminal will need. I can try the cntlm, but I'd have to install it through software center :x or download / install the package and all its dependencies manually through the web browser.

I know there's commands to set environment variables in terminal, but I'm not very familiar with the syntax, and it defeats the purpose of having to enter it twice.

This seems like a rather serious bug in the release.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mjohn911.

As you have got access to Synaptic:
Synaptic - at least on Cinnamon and Xfce - has got a way of configuring proxy setting used by Synaptic only:
Launch Synaptic. Go to Settings => Settings => tab "Network".
You can activate (*) Manual Proxy Configuration there and enter the appropriate values for http-proxy an ftp-proxy. You can even add the credentials needed to authenticate on the proxy, in case your proxy requires an authentication.
This way you will be able to install software with the help of Synaptic.

Not being the KDE expert, I am not sure whether cntlm will help in your case. - In my case it was the only way I found to make sure that apt and other commandline tools can indirectly use our Windows proxy server which requires Windows authentication, and it was this special kind of authentication which caused problems to me.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
an7hr4x666

Post by an7hr4x666 »

i found the application ' icedtea' found in settings to do all thas needed, i had similar to same issues, hope helps, simplist way i found any how, pitty all the settings for everyting are so far spread around in this distro, still its my only niggle iwth it...lol----hope helpz u.....tho im pretty new to mint, i have had linux experience but not a great deal, sorry im off the mark, but i rreckon its what u need??

Return to “Networking”