<SOLVED> Setting up VPN for Virginia Tech

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
461Dwight

<SOLVED> Setting up VPN for Virginia Tech

Post by 461Dwight »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help setting up a VPN to connect to Virginia Tech's network so I can install Matlab on my computer (it is only available on the VT network software page for students). I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech in aerospace engineering. I am pretty new to Linux Mint, I had used Ubuntu a little bit last year, but not enough to really be familiar with Linux. I was trying to follow the instructions at the following site: https://vtluug.org/wiki/VPN . I have followed the instructions given with creating a directory and then creating a file, but upon entering "sudo pon VirginiaTech" in the terminal I get the error "/usr/sbin/pppd: Error reading /etc/ppp/peers/VirginiaTech: is a directory". I also tried following the steps at the bottom of the page (The Network Manager section) because I figured that the Ubuntu instructions would also work with Linux Mint (am I wrong in assuming this?), but I am unable to get any options by right-clicking the Network Manager on the bottom right toolbar. Could anybody give me some guidance on what I am doing wrong/if I am doing anything wrong? Thanks in advance for the help, I'm not really profeccient in Linux, but I would like to learn and so far am liking it more than Windows 7. I am using Linux Mint 14, and my computer is a Fujitsu T5010 LifeBook. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snison

Re: Setting up VPN for Virginia Tech

Post by snison »

Linux Mint is built on Ubuntu, as you can see when doing sudo apt-get update .

Anyway, you created VirginiaTech as a directory and not as a file.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -r  /etc/ppp/peers/VirginiaTech
cd /etc/ppp/peers/
sudo pluma VirginiaTech
enter your information as described in the wiki

Code: Select all

remotename VirginiaTech
pty "pptp pptp.cns.vt.edu --nolaunchpppd"
name username
file /etc/ppp/options.pptp
require-mppe-128
ipparam VirginiaTech