How to improve a home network - LDAP, authenticated NFS....

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hellesangel
Level 1
Level 1

How to improve a home network - LDAP, authenticated NFS....

Post by hellesangel »

My home network has grown to include a VMWare ESXi 5.0 virtual machine server, 3x NAS, a few subnets controlled by an IPCOP firewall (in a VM of couse) and a few dozen devices with IP addresses, but still at its core it's a simple everyone-has-access-to-everything setup. As I work for clients as a software engineer I need to be careful their data stays secure so this setup isn't wonderful, but let's be frank I'm doing this also because I like tinkering. I'd like to make the network more like a corporate network - single sign on, NFS shares mounted depending who you are, secured areas for private data, more central control that can be passed to new VMs when I build them, and so on.

Can anyone suggest a good tutorial for making this leap? I've found plenty on how to install a basic LDAP server on whatever Linux distro, how to mount a simple NFS share, and so on, but so far have not found a good text on setting up such a network as I guess this is touching the domain of professional sysadmins. Any help gratefully received.

stratus_ss
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to improve a home network - LDAP, authenticated NFS.

Post by stratus_ss »

Generally speaking, any place that I have ever worked restricts NFS by IP only. AutoFS may be the route to go with per-user authentication (though I am unsure how to tie this into a directory service), but again most places I have ever seen use Samba as the per-user mount.

For tying Samba into LDAP, I can help with that as I have done this myself quite a bit and wrote a tutorial on it. Although I used the 389-Directory Server instead of straight LDAP

Return to “Other networking topics”