Before you post please read how to get help
Zeuge der Unity
Level 1
Level 1

Remote Control a live System

Post by Zeuge der Unity »

Hello Linux Mint community,

this is my first post so i'll write a few words about me:

I'm studying "Computer Science in Media" or whatever you want to call it. In fact i'm a mix between a desinger for digital media and an information scientist.
I started studying a few month ago and i fell in love with linux. Now i'm allways trying to improve my abilities by studying and try & error.

My abilities with Linux so far:
I'm know how to use the console, i know the basic console commands, i can understand console commands and can write simple shells.

Now my question:
How can i remote controll a Linux Mint Olivia Live System with my Linux Mint Olivia?
Do i just need some commands or special packages or software? Do i have to create a customized Live-DVD or do i need an other Linux Distribution?
It doesn't matter to me if i get control of the console or the desktop.

Why or for what do i need that access:
A friend of mine has big problems with his PC (i guess it's a virus or sth. like that) and he is a complete computer illiterate. So i want to help him with rescuing his data, formatting his HDD and his USB-Sticks and installing Linux Mint 15 as a secondary OS for online-banking and shopping after he managed it somehow to install Windows.

I hope you can give me some usefull informations, wikis, software or whatever can help me with that problem.

Thanks for your attention,
Zeuge der Unity

p.s. If there is anywhere a threat about the same question i would be happy if you could give me a link or sth. like that. I didn't find anything.
If it's not broke... I'm not done fixing it!

stratus_ss
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Remote Control a live System

Post by stratus_ss »

This suggestion is cheap (as in not the most technically awsome). I use chromium with the remote desktop plugin. Its easy to explain how to install chromium, and other than that you choose whether you want help or you are helping someone else.

They read you the code and viola, your in

Zeuge der Unity
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Remote Control a live System

Post by Zeuge der Unity »

Never heard of that, sounds pretty cool i'll give it a try. Thanks :D
If it's not broke... I'm not done fixing it!

Return to “Other networking topics”