opening windows shares on Mint 16 (cinnamon)[SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

opening windows shares on Mint 16 (cinnamon)[SOLVED]

Post by marlenejo »

I am having problem opening windows shared folders on my linux machine. The windows shares have permissions to everyone and no password required. I have another windows machine sharing too and both those machines can open/rw shared folders without issues. My linux box can see the window workgroup network machines but they cannot be opened. I also have a linux folder shared and this one can be seen by windows boxes and open. I can't figure out that one. Help please .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: opening windows shares on Mint 16 (cinnamon)

Post by altair4 »

Make sure the samba client is working first by accessing the Windows box directly by ip address:

Code: Select all

nemo smb://192.168.0.100/share-name
Dpending on which version of Windows you are using yo may need to pass the "guest" username:

nemo smb://guest@192.168.0.100/share-name
If it asks for a password just hit enter.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

altair4 wrote:Make sure the samba client is working first by accessing the Windows box directly by ip address:

nemo smb://192.168.0.100/share-name
Dpending on which version of Windows you are using yo may need to pass the "guest" username:

nemo smb://guest@192.168.0.100/share-name
If it asks for a password just hit enter.
Hello altair4, yes with that command, it open straight up in a file manager window and I can move files back and forth between linux and windows folders, great stuff ! Now, why can't I do that directly from the file manager network icons ? (it says : cannot get the sharing list : connection terminated by delay expiration)
Thank you.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Hello altair4, yes with that command, it open straight up in a file manager window and I can move files back and forth between linux and windows folders, great stuff ! Now, why can't I do that directly from the file manager network icons ? (it says : cannot get the sharing list : connection terminated by delay expiration)
So samba itself is working properly it's just the primitive name resolution mechanism that Windows uses that's the problem. All network traffic is done using ip addresses so if we want to use a machines name some mechanism must be created to link a machine name with an ip address. Linux and OSX use one way and Microsoft uses an unnecessarily complicated way.

I would suggest going through items [4] and [5a/b] on the following HowTo and see if the first one fixes things and if the firewall on the Windows box is interfering with this:
HowTo: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

altair4 wrote:
I would suggest going through items [4] and [5a/b] on the following HowTo and see if the first one fixes things and if the firewall on the Windows box is interfering with this:
HowTo: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0
It works !!!! setting the samba.conf "resolve order" works beautifully (item 4). I didn't have to check firewall as I always disabled it in Windows, relying on the router firewall. Last request, I don't know if you are a Mint developer but why isn't this the default setup for Samba after a Mint installation ? I probably have the most standard machines setup as every one. It will surely make life easier for new Linux comers. As for me, that was the last road block to spread Mint on more machines.

P.S Altair you have been very kind in guiding me around without asking that I scroll through all the posts to solve my problem (which I tried) As more Windows users look to jump on Linux wagon, you are certainly one indispensable person around to ease that transition. So please stick around. Thank you very much.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Last request, I don't know if you are a Mint developer but why isn't this the default setup for Samba after a Mint installation ?
I am most definitely not a Mint developer - that would be a disaster :wink:

Bcast is listed last and in some cases disabled entirely for the main customers of Samba which is the corporate space not those of us on the lunatic fringe who use Linux at home. Bcast uses bandwidth - not a lot of bandwidth - but enough to cause an impact in an enterprise that may have thousands of samba / smb clients. Anyway, it's the way it ships from the Samba factory so it's kept that way.

In all fairness though if everything was working perfectly in the home network the name resolve order options should be tried in sequence and if one method doesn't work it would move to the next. In my network bcast is listed last and it still works. It's the "wins" option that messes things up for others.
berry.whitetiger

Reply: opening windows shares on Mint 16 (cinnamon)[SOLVED]

Post by berry.whitetiger »

I'd would hardly call this problem solved. I'm using Mint16 KDE ISO and it appears that Dolphin can't open NAS shares out of the box. After some tinkering with workgroups and network settings. I was able to get my NAS shares to be viewable, but not downloadable. I was forced to use the FF-browser webinterface to download files off my NAS-box. that method is very slow. Perhaps someone should take a look at how autoFS mounts CiFS shares because I am thinking that this problem is not a SAMBA issue at all. After all it works perfect in mint13 using XFce-inteface, and SAMBA is not used to access CIFS shares. I will post a bug report on this when I figure out all the ends.

Return to “Networking”