[SOLVED] I am having a very interesting issue with SSH

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k3mist

[SOLVED] I am having a very interesting issue with SSH

Post by k3mist »

In summary, when trying to SSH into any system I am being asked for a passphrase on any of my *.pub keys. Couple of these *.pub keys are over a year old, so they have some mileage. Last night I was feeling like something new and decided to install KDE and is basically how I ended up in this situation.

So here is the interesting part, I can SSH fine using Cinnamon environment. However on TTY1 and KDE I am being asked for the passphrase. I can not recall if I have ever tried to ssh from TTY1 before, so I can not even use that as a reference at this point.

I have never seen anything like this in all the years I have been using Linux, lol. Cinnamon/Mint for about the past 2 years. Gnome for about 8. Linux in general for longer.

I believe the KDE installation through apt did change the permissions on my *.pub files. I am not sure why. When I first tried to SSH to a system I got the permissions are too open error (644). So I went ahead and did chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id*

This fixed the permission warning but now it is asking for a passphrase on any *.pub in .ssh. Again, only having the issue on TTY1 and KDE, but when I tried again with Cinnamon, no issues. Knowing Linux I am sure its something retarded.

I have been screwing around with this for about the past 2 hours and I do not understand what is going on or what changed. This is not something I usually seek help for, but I am stumped.
snapshot1.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
k3mist

Re: [HELP] I am having a very interesting issue with SSH

Post by k3mist »

Figured this out awhile ago before my post was approved. So I'll just update this with my own answer I guess.

Code: Select all

ssh-add .ssh/id_rsa
Acctually added this to my .bashrc so its never an issue again.

I guess cinnamon/gtk automatically does this? Or has some other way of letting the ssh agent know those keys are to be used in .ssh/?

That part I still don't know and I still do not know why KDE changed the permissions on my *.pub keys when it was installed.

Return to “Networking”