Linux and BT-FON [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Linux and BT-FON [SOLVED]

Post by HappyLinux »

OK folks, here is a question in regards to a form of wireless networking. Is it possible to connect a laptop to a BT-FON hotspot? I need to know for my dad who uses it. He's got an old laptop which I'll be putting Linux Mint 17LTS on soon.

I know all about the gripes with lack of security when using wireless hotspots, but this is my dad won't accept that. He just wants to connect to BT-FON whilst he's on holiday.

Is any special software required, or can you just connect to the nearest available signal as if you're connect to your home network?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux and BT-FON

Post by HappyLinux »

Anything??
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

To the best of my knowledge, a BT-FON hotspot is no different than any other in regard to - you just need some form of password to let you in - and you just open up the network manager, enter the pass and that's it. I know they work off the back of peoples home hubs, I assume if he's a BT customer that they'd issue some sort of ID/pass to let you in wherever you are . . .. but the method to connect will be the same .
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

When I click on my network icon I can see a couple of BT Fon stations in the list, so I'd assume he would just input the password and carry on as usual. My system is LMDE btw but I can see them with Mint 13 too.

A word of caution though, are you sure the old laptop is going to be powerful enough to run Mint 17 LTS? IE, enough cpu power and enough ram?
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

there are several Fon hotspots in rage of my home, all show in the connections manager irrespective of the OS i am using and which desktop i have
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

A FON transmits 2 SSID's. One is private and can be given any name you want. The other is the public signal which always starts with "FON_".

If you connect to the private signal a FON spot works iodentical to any other WiFi spot. If you connect to the public signal you will be redirected to FON's website first, where you need to enter your FON or BT credentials before you can surf the Web.

The OS is of no importance.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Sorry for my late response to this thread. I've been busy.

I appreciate the advice. I just wanted to make sure if it was possible, and what you've all been saying, simply confirms my suspitions.

As for the question on the laptops being able to run Mint 17 LTS, the answer is most likely. Some may be a little sluggish, and some may require a little tweaking. The only problem I can think on is the amount of RAM. I think they all have at least 1GB of RAM, with 1 or 2 having 1GB shared with the GPU, which means they may end up being a little slower than the others, but just as stable.

Unless any of you can recommend a Distro built for old computers like this, then Mint with Cinnamon is my best choice. Will need to use both 32 and 64bit versions as some of the hardware is before the 64bit era started.

[UPDATE]
Forgot to mark this thread as complete. Sorry. Done so now

Return to “Networking”