[SOLVED] Hopefully a simple sharing question

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickey6

[SOLVED] Hopefully a simple sharing question

Post by mickey6 »

I'm running Mint17KDE on both a laptop and a desktop. They are on the same network. I can't seem to figure out how to get the machines to see each other.

The laptop has a directory that I set up as shared (with Samba). Windows is not involved, but the "Allow guests" stayed grayed out until I enabled Samba.

On the desktop machine Dolphin can see the laptop, and displays the Workgroup manager as a globe icon with what I assume is a MAC address, and a hard disk icon.

I'm kind of at a loss as far as filling out the "Add Network Folder" wizard. Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Frankus333
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hopefully a simple sharing question

Post by Frankus333 »

G'day mickey6

I don't think there is such a thing as a simple sharing question.

Sharing attributes for folders can be set in the Properties dialogue (last tab on right). Try playing with that using an existing folder, or one you create first.

I think the dialogue you mentioned is for connecting to remote folders, and not what you want.

If it doesn't work first up, try turning off the inbuilt firewall (UFW), using the Konsole terminal with "sudo service ufw stop". The GUI (GUFW in System Settings) is not reliable for this.
LM21.3XFCE; Intel NUC8i3BEH, 4GB RAM, CPU Dual Core i3-8109U Kaby Lake 3.6GHz, 1TB HDD (triple boot Win 10 Home, LM21.3XFCE). LM20.3XFCE; MacBook Air6,1 4GB RAM, CPU Dual Core i5-4250U 2.6GHz, 233GB SSD (dual boot MacOS El Capitan).
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm running Mint17KDE on both a laptop and a desktop. They are on the same network. I can't seem to figure out how to get the machines to see each other.

The laptop has a directory that I set up as shared (with Samba). Windows is not involved
Linux ( and OSX ) can do something with Samba that Windows cannot. They can access other Linux machines directly with an mDNS qualified host name and bypass the byzantine Windows process of name resolution.

To do that open a terminal and issue:

Code: Select all

dolphin smb://hostname.local
Change hostname to the actual hostname of the machine you are trying to connect to - and don't forget the ".local" part.

When dolphin opens up to that machine you can bookmark it for future use.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mickey6

Post by mickey6 »

altair4 wrote:

The laptop has a directory that I set up as shared (with Samba). Windows is not involved
Linux ( and OSX ) can do something with Samba that Windows cannot. They can access other Linux machines directly with an mDNS qualified host name and bypass the byzantine Windows process of name resolution.

To do that open a terminal and issue:

Code: Select all

dolphin smb://hostname.local
Change hostname to the actual hostname of the machine you are trying to connect to - and don't forget the ".local" part.

When dolphin opens up to that machine you can bookmark it for future use.
Absolute perfection, exactly what I was looking for. :mrgreen: Thank you very much, you were a tremendous help.

Return to “Networking”