Great Cannon / Man in the Middle - Steps to take?

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Falconus
Level 1
Level 1

Great Cannon / Man in the Middle - Steps to take?

Post by Falconus »

I found this article today: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/techn ... ernet.html

To summarize, it claims that China has launched a major attack on certain websites, including Github, using a new technology. Particularly of interest to me as an end-user is the following paragraph:

"But the researchers suggested that the system could have more powerful capabilities. With a few tweaks, the Great Cannon could be used to spy on anyone who happens to fetch content hosted on a Chinese computer, even by visiting a non-Chinese website that contains Chinese advertising content."

I was wondering if there is 1. a good way to secure my browsing against such attacks (think NSA also...), and 2. To have control over how my computer interacts with Chinese advertising/websites?

It's not that I have anything specific to hide; I just really, really don't like people being in my personal business.

P.S. I'm a US resident.

Thank you!

Edit: I am using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Great Cannon / Man in the Middle - Steps to take?

Post by Flemur »

http://www.nytimes.com/ ...

I wouldn't worry about anything mentioned in the NYT unless reliable outfits also reported it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Falconus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Great Cannon / Man in the Middle - Steps to take?

Post by Falconus »

unless reliable outfits also reported it.

I hate to think what you consider reliable, but you can look up the numerous news agencies that are reporting on this and take your pick...

Return to “Other networking topics”