Network manager changing static ip address

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Tim Brown

Network manager changing static ip address

Post by Tim Brown » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Has anyone else had a problem with the network manager changing the static ip address. When I put in the address that I want and the DNS addresses, it saves it for that session but if I reboot for some reason, the network manager changes everything back to DHCP. This happens on 2 different machines but both are running Felicia. Thanks.

Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Network manager changing static ip address

Post by Old Marcus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:09 pm

This is a bug with the new version of NetworkManager that stumped me for a while as well. Just create a new profile, put the info in that, save it and delete the old one. Worked for me, hope it works for you. :)
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.

Tim Brown

Post by Tim Brown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that. I am assuming when you say create another profile you mean another network profile and not a user profile. I created another profile and deleted all the other ones. When I reboot a new is created set back to DHCP. Do you by chance know where these profiles are stored, I was thinking that I could edit them thru the back door instead of thru the GUI to see if that made a difference. I know we can't be the only ones with this issue.

Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Old Marcus » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Strange, it worked for me. I don't know where NW stores the profiles, but try looking here: Bug Reports
Scroll down and you should see all the NetworkManager bugs. Have a look and see if there's any that relate to your problem and see if there's a possible workaround. That's all I can offer from my end, maybe someone else here already knows a workaround?
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.

strict
Level 1
Level 1

Post by strict » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:36 am

I am having the same issues. Did you ever get yours resolved? I want to setup a mint box to be my router, and also serve a webpage, and I need static ips for that to work.

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:29 am

strict wrote:I am having the same issues. Did you ever get yours resolved? I want to setup a mint box to be my router, and also serve a webpage, and I need static ips for that to work.
I don't know that much about Networking. How do I setup the Static IPS? I've got Mint 5 on my desktop and 6 on my laptop. Sometimes I can get them to see each other. But, when I reboot. They can't see each other. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Return to “Other networking topics”