[SOLVED] Nemo will not connect to server via sftp

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chaxxon

[SOLVED] Nemo will not connect to server via sftp

Post by Chaxxon »

Hello,

I am running Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on two computers on my local network via wifi and am having a strange issue and am not certain if I am doing something wrong or not. Using the terminal I can establish a normal working ssh session from either machine to the other, but when I attempt a connection from either machine to the other with the "Connect to server" feature in Nemo it eventually times out without displaying the folders on the computer I am trying to connect to.

On a whim, I installed Filezilla and attempted the connection and in the status window this is displayed:

Code: Select all

Response:	fzSftp started
Command:	open "curt@10.0.0.49" 22
Command:	Pass: ********
Error:	Connection timed out
Error:	Could not connect to server
Neither machine has the firewall enabled so I have ruled that possibility out. Could someone offer some suggestions as to what may be the problem and what may be needed to do to correct this issue?

Thank you for any help that is offered.

EDIT: Added a screenshot of what I am putting into the "Connect to server" form fields.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chaxxon

Re: Nemo will not connect to server via sftp

Post by Chaxxon »

SOLVED

After working most of the day to solve this I found that when I created a .bashrc file in my home directory and added the fortune mod the output was too long and that was what was effecting me from being able to connect via Nemo to either machine using "Connect to server". I only had added the .bashrc to my home directory for the fortune mod so deleting it was the easiest solution. Hope this helps if someone else experiences the same problem I had.
hellwoodfire

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo will not connect to server via sftp

Post by hellwoodfire »

I had the same problem and saw your "SOLVED" post!
I had screenfetch in my .bashrc .
I commented the line an now it work.
Thank you so much. :D
Chaxxon

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo will not connect to server via sftp

Post by Chaxxon »

I'm glad my post helped you!

Return to “Networking”