Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

A couple of networking questions

Post by rdonnelly »

Hi,

1 I am using a wine accounting program that cannot print out of Linux, well known and documented bug. So I installed SMBK4 and I am able to uses files and folders in Mint and on a network PC with Win2k. In mint I can do anything I want to the files in the Win2k hard drive. But when I try and access the mint home folder from Win2k, I get access denied. How do I properly and securely set up permissions to access Linux files? I have screwed up my system more then once, then I see locks and X's on folders that were not there before. I am starting to get an error about permissions at log in about the drmc file.

2 How do you setup Gnome-RDP to access the same Win2k computer? I always get error, (computer name): unable to connect, I am using proper IP, name and password.

3 Is there any way to send a print job, from a wine app, directly to the printer of the Win2k spooler?

I have been only using mint for a couple of months, so I am not all that savvy yet, I also do not know a whole lot about networking, but I am gaining.

Please help, so I can stay away from the evil M$ desktop as much as possible.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: A couple of networking questions

Post by Fred »

rdonnelly.

I am going to back off from the problem and suggest another way to go. I am not a lover of wine. It always seems to present me with problems and it continues to be a work in progress. If I were you I would consider using a virtual machine in VirtualBox and running your Windows program on a real version of Windows. It will be faster and more trouble free and you will have better protection and recoverability from Windows viruses, etc.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... or#p116611

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I have tried virtual box, I never get too far, then I get an error. Would I be able to install windoze printer drivers to virtual box? That is the only reason I need to use windoze with MYOB accounting, it will not print through linux. bug 6316 in the wine bugzilla DB.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

rdonnelly,

Try installing Virtualbox the way I recommended. The print drivers are installed to Windows. There shouldn't be a problem installing the print drivers to Windows installed in Virtualbox.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Fred, that is awsome, I already paid for the windoze any ways, so now I can run all my apps until suitable linux ones come along. I am installing XP as I write this message. Thanks for all the help. You helped me do, what I had to, without all the hassle of a network, and multiple computers.

You are my HERO :D
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE

Return to “Other networking topics”