Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TY~DY
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint 17.2 to Win7 connection?!

Post by TY~DY »

I am running Linux Mint 17.2 on an old Dell E1505 (6400) Inspiron laptop that used to have Win XP on it (oops).
I have a 2009 desktop Dell Inspiron 546 with Windows 7 Premium (AMD II X2 240 2.8ghz 64bit) which has a Canon MX360 printer attached.
I can see & access the Mint laptop & have full access from the Win7 machine. No problem there (Thank you, Samba).
No matter which tutorial I try to follow here or from a Google search, I can not see, or access the Win7 desktop & printer.
I'm fairly comfortable digging around in a computer but I am really new to Linux.
Shouldn't this be easy? Why hasn't someone written a program to make networking these boxes easier? If hackers can get into a Windows box it CAN'T be impossible! Right??!?
Anyway, I sure would appreciate it if anyone can point me to a working solution that even an old Windows guy like me can follow... & succeed with!
Thanks for listening to my rant.
Last edited by TY~DY on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txba516
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 17.2 to Win7 connection?!

Post by txba516 »

Hi TY,

Is the Windows Firewall enabled on your Win7 desktop? Any other firewall software running? Be sure these are disabled or configured to allow your local network to get through.
Are you able to see the Win7 PC in the Network section of the file browser?
Also, when you browse to the PC, you'll have to enter your Win7 username, password, and workgroup (or domain) name to view the shares.

Cheers!
LM17.2 x64 Cinnamon
Help the forums get answers faster! Mark your fixed problem thread as [SOLVED]

TY~DY
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17.2 to Win7 connection?!

Post by TY~DY »

txba516 wrote:Hi TY,

Is the Windows Firewall enabled on your Win7 desktop? Any other firewall software running? Be sure these are disabled or configured to allow your local network to get through.
Are you able to see the Win7 PC in the Network section of the file browser?
Also, when you browse to the PC, you'll have to enter your Win7 username, password, and workgroup (or domain) name to view the shares.

Cheers!
After a lot of head banging trying to change the Windows Firewall settings, I finally disabled it entirely (@ least for now). I can finally print & access the files. Thank you, txba516. I should have thought of that. Had a stupid moment I guess. Thanks to you, th is is SOLVED.

Return to “Other networking topics”