VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monsterman

Re: VPN

Post by monsterman »

I have now managed to get Both Private tunnel and Hidden 24 to work on Linux mint ,, but the result is a disapointment as they have to be operated via terminal which makes the special features and access to multiswitching servers inoperable and also they both drop out regularly ,, something that did not happen in Windows 7

so I need to look for a better alternative preferably one that does not work via terminal and has multi in country server ability that can be changed quickly or automaticly
private tunnel only uses one regular server address in UK which is easily blocked ,, Hidden 24 has hundreds and this is marvelous ,,,but alas the capabilities need a deak top GUI to use fully

so is there any easy to use VPN for Mint that one do what I need other wise i will probably have to go back to windows 7
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

monsterman wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 amso is there any easy to use VPN for Mint that one do what I need other wise i will probably have to go back to windows 7
AirVPN.org offers server level connections, but this all depends on the country. Their eddie open source gui client will auto-reconnect and the newest beta version will minimize to the notification area.
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

Hi Guys tool Geerds advive and yes AIR looks to do the job i need u have managed to download and install it and am testing it if it works as i want i will by a long subscription

:D
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ChrisAJ »

Thanks for all the comments. I have opted for Nordvpn and found them fast, reliable and secure
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

NordVPN can be had for $2-3 a month; they have thousands of servers now, including some onion-routers, a couple of Tor-specific servers and Double VPNs (2 countries in series)
Pretty damn good, and they're in Panama.
gleneagles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gleneagles »

Have used expressvpn myself on linux mint, android box and windows, fast speeds, easy to install and if there is a breech in security the line is automatically cut.
Used for past year without issue.
Not cheap but what is your security worth.
adilhaimoura

Post by adilhaimoura »

Firstly thanks in advance

I have one Machine I installed on it Linux mint 18.3 and mint KDE 18.1 and Fedora 27
all for leaning purposes. I do teaching some classes for using Linux
I tried to install Android studio but it is blocked in my country so I need to use openvpn and here comes the problem
when I downloaded the files .ovpn from vpngate it did not work in LM18.3 cinnamon but the same file worked correctly and I could easily download and update my software throw it in all other OS's in my PC
but I really want it in LM18.3 my main connection is throw mobile broadband stick
it shows connected to vpn but no internet and shows DNS probing error . So I'm thing that maybe I have done something that changed the default setting of my networking behavior
so what I need is how to return every network connections to the default . so that the vpn would start working as it is working on other Dist. of my machine
I've tried on the past 3 days everything I could find in the internet regarding this connection matter
(if it works on lm18.1.. it should work the same way or better in 18.3)

thanks again and sorry for the English. I'm not native English speaker
Adil
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi adilhaimoura,

Try this:
Easily Use Free VPNs From VPN Gate In Linux With These 2 Tools ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/02/easily-u ... m-vpn.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
adilhaimoura

Post by adilhaimoura »

phd21 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 pm Hi adilhaimoura,

Try this:
Easily Use Free VPNs From VPN Gate In Linux With These 2 Tools ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/02/easily-u ... m-vpn.html

Hope this helps ...
Thanks man it works ... but still why not working from network manger??
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi adilhaimoura,

I am not sure why you are having issues getting a vpngate server to work in your Linux Mint system which should be easy to do, just import one of their server locations that you downloaded from the "openVPN" section of the vpngate website, After clicking the openVPN link to a vpngate server you want to try, on the second screen choose the second set of configuration files, "The .ovpn file which is including IP address" towards the bottom, using a username of "vpn" and password of "vpn" connection method of "password" or "password with certificates". The UDP openVPN configuration file is better to use than TCP openVPN configuration file, but if your hardware router does not allow UDP or for whatever reasons UDP is not working, use the TCP file, or download and try another server location. Sometimes when I have not connected to a specific vpngate server, when I try to connect to that specific server again, it will work (just happened now)? Update: today, I tried the first two US servers listed on vpngate, and they were totally erratic and not reliable, but the 3rd one is working well? Also, always check with a website like "ipleak.net" to make sure that you are connected to the country you selected, occasionally they are not, so select another for the country you want.

VPN Gate - Public Free VPN Cloud by Univ of Tsukuba, Japan
*** If you are in a censored country, you can get on the vpngate mailing list for alternate links to available servers for that day. ***
http://www.vpngate.net/en/

Below is an example of an email from vpngate that I get numerous times per day (the list changes).

Code: Select all

VPN Gate Daily Mirrors <vpngate-daily@vpngate.net>
2:57 PM (4 hours ago)
to me 
Hi gmail.com,

Today's VPN Gate web site's daily mirror URLs are following.
1. http://82.102.28.62:43952/
   (Location: United Kingdom)
2. http://59.3.208.17:43950/
   (Location: Korea Republic of)
3. http://151.80.182.100:10053/
   (Location: France)
4. http://115.144.113.163:54531/
   (Location: Korea Republic of)
5. http://p282133-ipngn5501sapodori.hokkaido.ocn.ne.jp:58826/
   (Location: Japan)
*** Current Status Report ***
Note: The vpngate servers usually change daily, sometimes throughout the day, so you could be downloading and importing new VPN server configuration files daily or more, and removing ones that no longer work, daily or more. Sometimes you might get lucky and find a couple vpn server locations that are available for longer. That is why using the wonderful "vpngate with proxy" application is so much better and easier; if you like this application, please tell and support the developer.

Hope this helps ...

vpngate1.jpg
vpngate2.jpg
vpngate3.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi adilhaimoura,

FYI: Something new that I noticed regarding importing vpngate server locations into my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 system through the Network Manager in the system tray panel that did not happen before 2018, is that when you import the VPN somewhere.ovpn file that you download, it asks do you want to save the certificates, always say yes, it then incorrectly selects the Connection Type Method of "Certificates (TLS)" instead of "Password" or "Password with Certificates"? I guess some of the vpngate servers changed their openvpn configuration files recently. This is a little bit of a pain, because if you select the correct option of "Password" or "Password with Certificates", it clears the certificate entries, and you have to manually browse to where the system put the certificate(s) for that server location which in my case is a hidden folder underneath my home folder, but it works perfectly.

Code: Select all

/home/user69/.local/share/networkmanagement/certificates/
Hope this helps ...

Screenshots of my Network Manager Edit Connections for a vpngate server location
using a Connection Type of "Password" and then "Password with Certificates (TLS)" and either one works.
vpngate_Password.jpg
OR Connection Type of "Password with Certificates (TLS)".
vpngate_Password_With_Certificates_TLS.jpg
Network Manager mouse-over showing connected to a vpngate server.
vpngate_connected1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Anybody ever try the free Windscribe VPN ? I installed it today. Seems to be working well. :)

https://windscribe.com/
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Teksonik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:44 pm Anybody ever try the free Windscribe VPN ? I installed it today. Seems to be working well. :)

https://windscribe.com/
I bought a year with Windscribe, I use the android app on my tablet. They have a 'windscribe-cli' app for Linux(I've never tried it), no gui but you can download .ovpn files. Speeds, I found are a little slow when I compare to pia and airvpn(but only compared a couple of times), their 'forum' is a sub-reddit section but they have some (three I think) windflix servers(one of which I can verify).
On my main machine, my main vpn is airvpn with their eddie client(gui) and eddie is open source and allows third party vpns so I've added a couple of windscribe .ovpn's and use them occasionally, they work fine.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

I had installed the Windscribe cli which is in Beta and I'm finding that Windscribe runs at boot up and I'm not seeing any obvious setting in the cli to change that. I'd like to only use it when needed since the free version does have a 10 GB monthly limit and 99% of my Internet activity is innocuous (only some searchs for medical topics require privacy) . I'll see if I can get some support from the Windscribe site. :)
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

hey dude

easiest way is to install the vpn extension to your browser ,
just go to extensions and search the store ,
" hotspot shield " and " psiphon " are the 2 free vpns i know :idea:
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Hey my 2p or 2 cents worth is NO VPN. The free ones give your data away. The paid ones don't give you full bandwidth when required. They're all crap. Ask yourself why do I need one.

1st doing something illegal? - That's your own affair and showed be frowned upon.
2nd You want to watch free movies? Use a canned computer and just use it until it dies then slap a new OS on and do it again.
3rd Just want to be safe? Well as far as I know Linux is as safe as anything else out there so why bother!

Most people are being deluded into purchasing one. Leave the VPN's to the guys called crims.
That is all!
Rubin_Farr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rubin_Farr »

Bara-Bus wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 amThey're all crap. Ask yourself why do I need one.

1st doing something illegal? - That's your own affair and showed be frowned upon.
2nd You want to watch free movies? Use a canned computer and just use it until it dies then slap a new OS on and do it again.
3rd Just want to be safe? Well as far as I know Linux is as safe as anything else out there so why bother!

Most people are being deluded into purchasing one. Leave the VPN's to the guys called crims.
That is all!
"If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is one of the biggest lies ever told, but apparently some people still believe it. Privacy is important to law abiding citizens as well.
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Rubin_Farr wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am "If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is one of the biggest lies ever told, but apparently some people still believe it. Privacy is important to law abiding citizens as well.
What privacy. If your on the WWW there is no privacy whatsoever. Delusion is if you think a VPN is going to give you that. Make you happier maybe, out of pocket for no reason definitely. Want to speak to someone secretly use a dedicated mobile app. VPN's are a con for most.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

I can easily connect to any VPN service, whether they have a gui or not, I'm able to install openvpn servers one by one, extremely tedious task, but the high quality service I got (I made a top 15 from that huge table with about 100 attributes for each VPN lists, and that's also a very extensive list) and chose from there by throwing a screengrab of the thing, too large to look at normally on the website, anyone will find it if they search for VPN list characteristics or such, then I put that in Pinta and looked at each one, and deleted their range depending on the colum's attribute. They thankfully only have a dozen servers, but even L2TP is configurable on Linux, easily, well easily because they got a guide for that too.

I got a strange problem when connecting to my VPS with openvpn, I have 2 ethernet entries, the onboard 1000/100/10 one, which allows me to get my full speed (500/330)mbps, and a pci ethernet card I bought a long time ago that still works just fine, except it is 100/10, so it won't go higher than 100/100. I like connecting to my VPS because I don't lose as much speed as I do with far-away (and for me, that's most of them except one, I 'm somewhere north at the limit of civilization in a Canadian province's northern area.

Anyway, my VPS connection according to their guide if network-manager-openvpn is of a version older than 2.x or something, works, but no websites work, I need to change my mac addresses to get one of the ethernet cards to work, and by work I mean connect but let me do some HTTP/S, it willl let me connect to IRC, Pidgin, even the facebook plugin for Pidgin, but no browsing. Sometimes randomly it will work when I quickly switch the cable to one ethernet slot to another, then no issues will show up.

The only way I can get it to work is to do it manually, sudo openvpn some commands *.ovpn fille and that's it, it will work, but it's kind of annoying, I do not see the lock on the icon show up. What would make those cards connect but do nothing? I tried on some other PC's and I connected fine immediately, it's weird things often work right away when I change mac addresses for both cards, sometimes I even unplug the ISP's forced-on-you router-modem and do a hard reset and it'll work. I tried using better DNS servers (by using the windows tool made by Gibson, at grc.com, he makes a lot of pretty useful things, I like the random password generators of very high quality on there too), it works fine in Wine or Crossover, now I'm using a DNS that has DNSSEC properties and is faster than the default ones that were in the router, but that doesn't change anything with the VPS' configuration for openvpn and the tls-key file where I follow their instrutions...connects immediately when in Windows 7 too, by the way.
joyang90

Post by joyang90 »

I was also looking for this good thing I search around here and found a good thread for VPN topic. Will bookmark this :) Thanks

Return to “Networking”