VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gaugamela

Re: VPN

Post by Gaugamela »

So I can't connect to the PPTP VPN of my institution. Does anyone know how to properly set up a PPTP VPN?
RobertoR

Post by RobertoR »

Bara-Bus wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 pm
Rubin_Farr wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am "If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is one of the biggest lies ever told, but apparently some people still believe it. Privacy is important to law abiding citizens as well.
What privacy. If your on the WWW there is no privacy whatsoever. Delusion is if you think a VPN is going to give you that. Make you happier maybe, out of pocket for no reason definitely. Want to speak to someone secretly use a dedicated mobile app. VPN's are a con for most.
That there's not so many privacy on the internet is true, that's the problem what many people want to avoid and a VPN will help by that. beginning with that your ISP can not sniff on your traffic or add tracking headers ( Unique Identifier Headers (UIDH) ) to your packets, also its makes for the government difficult to spy on you. And it change you visible IP for the most parties. And if you block tracking and browser fingerprinting you are coming far with being private on the internet.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Bara-Bus wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 am Hey my 2p or 2 cents worth is NO VPN. The free ones give your data away. The paid ones don't give you full bandwidth when required. They're all crap. Ask yourself why do I need one.

1st doing something illegal? - That's your own affair and showed be frowned upon.
2nd You want to watch free movies? Use a canned computer and just use it until it dies then slap a new OS on and do it again.
3rd Just want to be safe? Well as far as I know Linux is as safe as anything else out there so why bother!

Most people are being deluded into purchasing one. Leave the VPN's to the guys called crims.
That is all!
Stop geo-blocking content. E.G.: There are people's videos that have absolutely no copyright mis-use or violations that I have been blocked from watching on social media. Some of the blocking is random and some people I have met made copyright claims and stole money from someones social media page for no reason. They did it for entertainment, when the people trying to take down or block others content have low, middle and upper incomes.

There is news from around the world that certain individuals do not want people to access. Why do they want to hide their criminal behaviour? What do they have to hide? The regular person is committing no crimes.

How safe is Linux when the NSA and "Five Eyes" or Microsoft have developed their own version of Linux and want everyone to have it or it be deployed into the Linux kernel? Why did Windows 10 cost money when everything was data harvested, rented, leased and sold by Microsoft and other businesses?

Everyone should use some sort of security to help filter the internet and try to protect their information or personal things. You might not be able to stop an individual or a corporation from monitoring you. But you can make it harder for them and make them work for it. E.G.: Minimizing or closing off multiple re-routing and re-directing of your web-browser while clicking on a link.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
d8sconz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by d8sconz »

I've just posted the solution to my own vpn problem here in case it's relevant to this discussion. I use SoftEther vpn and the linked solution opens a terminal with available servers to choose and connect to. Couldn't be easier. SoftEther is "An Open-Source Free ​Cross-platform Multi-protocol VPN Program, as an academic project from University of Tsukuba" (from their website)
jhalpin

Post by jhalpin »

Profsmith wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 pm Thank you all for your replies, I'm not financial at the moment so I'm putting off a VPN decision.

Regards

Steve
I use NordVPN. If you get the three year deal it works out to $2.75 US per month, And I've been very happy with it. You have to buy the three year package to get this though ($100)

Joe
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arvY99 »

jhalpin wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 pm I use NordVPN. If you get the three year deal it works out to $2.75 US per month, And I've been very happy with it. You have to buy the three year package to get this though ($100)

Joe
Can only see 1-6-12 month(s) plans... Is there a special link for the 3 years deal?
jhalpin

Post by jhalpin »

Yeah, just noticed that. I guess they don't offer that deal any more.

Joe
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint »

Nordvpn works fine. $3 a month is pretty cheap for what you get in return.
Though, no GUI, you will have to use the terminal but it's rather easy to set up and you can set auto-connect at startup, the only problem is it won't auto-connect to the server of your choice
Niketathakare88

Post by Niketathakare88 »

So is it possible to get a good and completely free VPN that does the job then ? The answer is... sort of. Ultimately, if you're looking for a free VPN for casual use you will find something that meets your needs - just so long as you are happy with the limitations that free VPNs usually come with.

And before we get stuck in to our list of the best free VPNs, it's worth knowing that a paid-for version can cost as little as $6 per month and can give you much better performance and protection, so we'd recommend checking out the overall best VPN service page as well. Just remember: free VPNs may cost nothing but there is usually a good reason for that - it might be that the provider may be turning a profit with invasive advertising or, in some cases, by selling on data to third-parties (rather defeating the whole drive for privacy in the first place).

The best VPN in the world right now is: ExpressVPN
We have reviewed more than one hundred VPN providers, both free and paid and our top recommendation right now is ExpressVPN. That's because, while it's a paid option, its speed and robustness as well as the servers it has in nearly 100 countries worldwide and the multitude of apps which accommodate almost any of your devices. It's not free, but it does come with a 30-day no-quibble money back guarantee and we highly recommend trying it over any free options.
EdgarNo

Post by EdgarNo »

Niketathakare88 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 am
And before we get stuck in to our list of the best free VPNs, it's worth knowing that a paid-for version can cost as little as $6 per month and can give you much better performance and protection, so we'd recommend checking out the overall best VPN service page as well.
Choosing a free VPN requires extra care, sorry for the cliche, but when it's free, - you're the product. And some reliable VPNs come as cheap as 2$/month, I use Surfshark, but your mentioned ExpressVPN is renowned for quality services, even though a bit more expensive. BestVPN.com released their yearly awards, it comes with reviews of nominees and winners so might be helpful when choosing the right provider.
jondoe

Post by jondoe »

Pierre wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:26 am the idea of free is not always the best idea,
so a small cost is sometimes , the better idea.
or - they then have to sell your data - to make a profit.

the other consideration is to use a VPN that is not based in your target area.
ie: if your target is the USA - then don't use a US based VPN.
- think NSA etc etc

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/18736/5-best-free-vpn-2/
- is just one review.
I 100% Agree with this Post
Also I would add, I like to use one from a country with the strictest privacy laws .
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Hi Everyone,
I signed up with NordVPN a couple of days ago. The software is impressive and I can only imagine that it is doing it's job. I contacted 'chat' on 2 occasions and found the answers to be accurate and the person, helpful. If they weren't native English speakers, it was hard to pick - refreshing not to need an 'in-the-head' translation service!

No, it's not the cheapest, but at US$3pm it's not far off.

What price security?

Peter Linu
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 3 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7 Starter-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) [and a few others]
kb2qqm

Post by kb2qqm »

Not free but i have been using NordVpn i love it works on all software you can run it from the Terminal which is great
kb2qqm

Post by kb2qqm »

Another good reason me using a VPN is that I do video editing and Im able to send GIGANTIC files to people I work with with no constraints on file size in email. I hate the fact that I can only send fragmented work, or have to buy server space on some other business just to share pre-production files.

I dont do illegal stuff. I don't watch illegal content. I personally don't want companies collecting info on what I do. It's none of anyone's business. Especially on free wi-fi, in places I don't want to be intercepted.

All those people who are against VPN's go ahead and take the locks off of your houses. I mean ....everybody should just let strangers in. Same concept.

It's the same reason I don't want those "Alexa" listening devices in my house. I don't need big brother listening like my life is 1984. If you don't want to buy the VPN service that's up to you. Don't buy one. But as for me...I like them.

Also when you are out of the Country is some third world ******************, you don't want to be censored, so having a VPN is necessary to carry on your normal life. Like when a Journalist could be killed for what he/she is typing because it goes against the regime in whatever part of the world you are in. Lot's a reasons to have one.

Return to “Networking”