VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dark

Re: VPN

Post by dark »

Decentralized VPN.
https://mysterium.network/

Programmer explains Mysterium - Decentralized VPN on Ethereum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbo8BQaqsw
Spinner912

Post by Spinner912 »

I have been using Witopia VPN for a long time now. It is generally reliable, has many servers, and has served me well on frequent world travelling, even in China (requires a special DNS which is supplied on request).

Witopia VPN is NOT free.

I have found IPSec to be a very secure protocol, although on Android devices, OpenVPN seems to be the only one which operates effectively. Also, I cannot find a way to run IPSec in Mint 18.1. OpenVPN runs just fine.
Corrien

Post by Corrien »

I also installed openvpn, now I am not sure I like it or not. First problem, on my searchpage it stops about 90% of the results I like to open. I mean I must change the proxy.
Maybe I do something wrong.
I used an VPN before without problems, but it went slow after certain time. So I quit that one.
What I must admit is that I am a learner on Linux and also VPN. I will use VPN because of a hefty fine by a layer of downloading something from a torrent. I even did not do this but a visitor did. Germany is not free for downloading, its bad to get fines for 1500 euro.
If there is any person with more knowledge than I have about vpn and advice I like to know please.
Now I go to the Netherlands tomorrow and will look or there is a book available about this subject and also about Linux Mint, any advices in this very welcome of course.
Have a great day you all. :)
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Hi

I am looking at putting a paid VPN on my Linux 18.2 installation.

I think I am going to try OpenVPN unless anyone says that's a massive mistake.

I am not sure where to enter the details and things in Network Manager - has anyone else had experience of this?

Many thanks
Kyle
LaughingGravy

Post by LaughingGravy »

I started using ExpressVPN a few months ago which I've been very happy with. Only one support issue which was dealt with instantly using the chat option on their website. I'm in Scotland so the nearest server is in London with many in other countries, no difference in speed connecting to London or New York. The plan I paid for (can't quite remember but I think around £60 per annum), allows three devices connected at any one time so my Android phone, tablet and Linux PC covered if all three are running.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Brilliant, thank you!
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rbsudo »

I am looking at VPN Gate and this has me confused. On the VPN Gate FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) webpage they say that recording log files is left up to the servers' individual logging policy (19th question down) . And that you can see their policy on the servers' list page. I don't see that. Do you? Where are the server's logging policies?
It depends on the "Logging Policy" of each VPN Gate server. The Logging Policy is declared by the operator of each VPN Gate server. You can see them in the Public VPN Relay Severs List page.
http://www.vpngate.net/en/about_faq.aspx
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.. 64-bit
Windows 11
SimonMallin

Post by SimonMallin »

all free vpn's are slow and useless

but I use Opera VPN.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

1. Using a VPN is just a smart thing to do for surfing the Internet safely, securely, and anonymously. Also changing your Local ISP Connection's DNS Server IP addresses.

If you can afford a "paid for" VPN provider like the excellent low-cost "Private Internet Access" (PIA), or "ProtonVPN", etc... then do it because they are faster, have no restrictions, usually have servers all over the world, and have support. These really do not cost that much and you get discounts for 6 month or yearly subscriptions.

But if you cannot afford one, then using a free VPN is better than not using one unless the free VPN is giving away your personal details and activity which is not the case with most of them. Most only log your login information times and that's it which is not going to hurt you or identify you or what you are doing.

2. I have checked a lot of free VPN providers for years now, and "vpnbook" and "vpngate" are still the best in my opinion that are easily available for everyone to use, but there are caveats in using them which I have previously described in this post and in other posts.

Sometimes a VPN provider, like "ProtonVPN" will offer a free VPN with some limitations of course, because they want you to try their VPN service and if you like get on a paid for plan which is reasonable. I waited many months on the "ProtonVPN" free offer's waiting list. And I finally received their generous offer and it works great and fast too, but it is limited to only a couple servers where I currently am located (US) and one in the Netherlands.

3.) For those Interested in trying "vpngate", you can setup (Import) their VPN servers in the usual ways, or you can use the the information from the link below. The "vpngate with proxy" is a wonderful application for this. Keeping in mind that vpngate servers are not always available and tend to come and go frequently, so applications like "vpngate with proxy" are perfect for this.

Easily use free VPNS from VPN GATE in Linux with these 2 tools
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/02/easily-u ... m-vpn.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ChrisAJ »

I use Nordvpn. Great speed and value. I bought into the year package. Easy to add into the Linux Mint network manager.
mr.travo

Post by mr.travo »

I also use NordVPN and got it a few months ago for $70 for 2 years! I forgot how cheap it was until I was doing my taxes last week. They had some 70% off sale. I am pleased with their service.

I am also looking into renting a VPS. Seems like another cool way to mask your IP address and use it as another VPN.
JohnFrumm

Post by JohnFrumm »

I have used PIA in the past, but after their main support guy Alex left around 2014 they suddenly got quite terrible - and lazy. Sometime around then there was a major SSL certificate security breech. Many of the VPN's updated their certificates, but PIA never did (to the best of my knowledge they have been using the same certificates for many years).

A few people already mentioned AirVPN. They are fantastic, imo, and the certificates are very secure (includes PFS, which PIA did not have). You can buy a 3 day cert for just 1 Euro if you want to test-drive the service.

It would be surprising if you find a good free service.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I guess why depends on why you want a VPN - I did a lot of research and settled on Private Tunnel which is associated with the OpenVPN folks. I have had no issues and I am very pleased with performance. Some folks don't like it because it is based in the USA although it does have servers outside the USA. We could have a long long discussion about why some folks are leery about that - suffice it to say I couldn't care less as it serves my purpose very well.
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

i have 2 paid for VPNs that work ok with windows .. Hidden24 is brilliant for my work but even with IPSEC software on my Linux i i cannot get it to work

and the other Private tunnel that is based on OPENVPN i cant get that to work even with my profiles downloaded to terminal

getting very angry becayse i have to use VPN at work and cant use Linux Mint
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

LaughingGravy wrote:I started using ExpressVPN a few months ago which I've been very happy with. Only one support issue which was dealt with instantly using the chat option on their website. I'm in Scotland so the nearest server is in London with many in other countries, no difference in speed connecting to London or New York. The plan I paid for (can't quite remember but I think around £60 per annum), allows three devices connected at any one time so my Android phone, tablet and Linux PC covered if all three are running.
I also use Express VPN without any problems so far. I see no drop in speed at all... It works well with Ktorrent and does not get in the way of anything else.
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

i have now been a linux mint uswe for 2 months and i am happy except for one MAJOR issue ,

i have spent a total of 43 hours struggling with the aweful terminal thing over the last few weeks to get a VPN to work ,, for years i have used Hidden24 on Windows so i loaded IPSEC , strongswan, openswan etc etc etc ,, and have learned about terminal but still cant get it working even with H24 support

i also have Private tunnel which is Based on OpenVPN ,, and that also wont work i have had accounts and good service from both for many years

a friend who uses PIA has tried to set up on my laptop and also cannot get it working but he also is no geek ,,If I could go back to windows 7 I would ..... will never again use windows 10 its lost me so much data over last 2 years and bobed 2 work laptops with its stupid updates ,, thats why I want LINUX ,, but not being able to configure amy choice VPNs is a major issue
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

going via the router is not an option i have to use many Wifi connections as i move around

this is what i am now getting
file:///home/jerry/Desktop/Screenshot%20from%202018-02-10%2016-35-53.png
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

monsterman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm i have 2 paid for VPNs that work ok with windows .. Hidden24 is brilliant for my work but even with IPSEC software on my Linux i i cannot get it to work

and the other Private tunnel that is based on OPENVPN i cant get that to work even with my profiles downloaded to terminal

getting very angry becayse i have to use VPN at work and cant use Linux Mint
Monster what version of Mint are you running? I am on 18.3 Cinnamon and it is too easy running Private Tunnel. What exactly do you get in the terminal when you input the path to your .ovpn file ?
I would suggest first re-installing openvpn - who knows, I have had weird stuff happen because a software package that was installed started acting strange or stopped working (just happened to me with Libre Office)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openvpn
Here are two glitches that I ran into a long time ago;
I just copy the profiles right into my home folder then so I don't need a path
majpooper@1150z ~ $ sudo openvpn --config Cal.ovpn (notice "Cal")
for whatever reason the space in San Jose caused an issue so I renamed the file to Cal. But the files for Dallas or Montreal are not a problem.

The other glitch I had was with DNS - some of the resolvers did not seem to work with Private Tunnel which made no sense to me. OpenDNS and Quad9 two that I really like do so I am good2go.

The last thing I would suggest is Private Tunnel support - I worked with them on the DNS issue I was having -I use dnscrypt and literally have a huge number of DNS resolvers to pick from. Anyway when I sent them my terminal output they were excellent in figuring out the problem and giving me the solution.
monsterman

Post by monsterman »

thanks for the replies guys ,, i have asked PT support now for more help I have downloaded OPENVPN 4 times ,, and Private tunnel profile several times from different servers ,, but no luck progressing on the command line ,,what i get on command line is ( error miss///

ing parameters) im very feeble with command line stuff ,,it ,,totally confuses me electromechanics , and robotics i can do but code related stuff im a total duffer

,I also have H24 support on the case ,, Many people dont understand why I want and IPSEC VPN like Hidden24 but it has some very unique capabilities that i need especially in the UK where VPN blocking by many media companies such as BBC is getting sophisticated ,

i will update when i have more info
Last edited by monsterman on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

monsterman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:44 pm thanks for the replies guys ,, i have asked PT support now for more help

im very feeble with command line stuff ,,,I also have H24 support on the case ,, Many people dont understand why I want and IPSEC VPN like Hidden24 but it has some very unique capabilities that i need especially in the UK where VPN blocking by many media companies such as BBC is getting sophisticated ,

i will update when i have more info
I've replied to a previous post of yours viewtopic.php?f=90&t=262443&p since we're getting off topic in this one.

Return to “Networking”