VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
killer de bug

Re: VPN

Post by killer de bug »

Hi Pierre,

Be careful with such list of VPN. Most of the time, there is a partnership with the author of the article so that he mentions them.
For example this article advises IPvanish. But if you read the net, you will find that this VPN is not advisable as they log users. Despite what they say on their website. So they don't keep their promises. Several cases have proven it. How do you want to trust them then. What else are they hiding?
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I agree with Killer de bug, almost all sites that list 'The Best VPN Servers' are most likely in some way being sponsored by one of them, take their list with a grain of salt.

Most vpn sites have forums, read them, find out why people are coming or going from that service. Some forums will also discuss the competition and have a more technical explanation than the 'The Best VPN Servers' sites.

Sooner or later you will discover airVPN!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I had never heard of this one. I will investigate it. :wink:
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I should also note there is a new one that popped up earlier this year, Windscribe, based in Canada and has a $24 for 24 months special on until the end of today. They sound like they might be good, but haven't been around long enough to get a rep.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

When I select a VPN, the most important question is where is it located?
I need this information to be easily available. It's a proof of serious.
IPVanish doesn't provide it easily on their website. Thus disqualified.

airVPN mentions Italy (and EU), but this is not clearly stated anywhere. This is disturbing. Where is the legal entity. That's the most important question!
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I'm at work right now and am blocked from their site but I didn't think there was any intent on hiding there country of business( Yes its Italy). There are also other things to consider like: are the servers vps (someone else has root access); do they spoof there server locations. These are the most common short comings of vpn services and are hidden by those that are guilty of it. This is in addition to logging, country of business and the usual stuff that is commonly mentioned on the "Best VPN" sites.

AirVPN forum has a section for other vpn's which you might find interesting.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Don't get me wrong. I don't say that country of reference is the only parameter. I said that it's step one. If it's not met, we don't go further.
But you are right, when this is known, a lot remains to be done.

I personally use PIA. Because it works well, they have a good reputation, they are transparent on their website, and they don't cost a lot, which is a nice addition.
I will investigate airVPN further.
Kevin19

Post by Kevin19 »

Hi, you cannot get the best features if you will get it for free. But to help you out with that I can share a few best VPN providers that I have been using. I hope this could help. Good luck! ;)

You may also see their comparisons here
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and yet another VPN comparison site:
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/
this site also was mentioned Today, by DistroWatch as well.

NOTE: as killer de bug has mentioned - - there may be a partnership with the author of the article .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
SGreen

Post by SGreen »

Some good options and tips here, especially with disabling ipv6 for torrent use. I found myself having DNS leaks on some providers in the past as well, and I was less prone to properly verifying on linux because I just thought it worked better. I suggest using OpenVPN or SoftEther over any clients when possible, killswitch can be an important consideration. Some good options here: http://vpnpick.com/best-vpn-linux/
I like AirVPN for security, great DNS system, never had any leaks. They haven't been the fastest in terms of speed but reliable
willim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willim »

Franky444 wrote:Use Opera browswer. It has a free built in VPN. I've been using it for a short while. It has servers all over the world. You might be limited to just a few with the free version. The paid version has many more servers to connect to. I like it. I hope you will too.
My reading of :D "Free" :D :D Opera :D is that there is one server base in Canada. My :) historic :) AOL mail didn't work with the VPN switched on :( perhaps :evil: "they" :evil: were not gleaning enough information? :shock:
Namf_Mint

Post by Namf_Mint »

Mullvad
  • - has good support
    - has very good anonymity
    - is cheap
    - has good speeds (if you go for a local server)
    - is light on system resources, even on an old processor
    - does not always work well with the GUI Mullvad supplies
    - works well with OpenVPN (as an alternative to the GUI) but there's a lot to learn about setting up OpenVPN and creating commands and/or icons and/or scripts - to turn it on and off and monitor whether it is on
    - does go down for a few seconds now and then and occasionally longer
    - can work with Firefox in such a way that if the VPN is down, the browser won't connect (i.e. a 'kill switch' for Firefox).
- does not work with the current, buggy version of Mint's (Ubuntu's) Network-Manager, but there's a work-around. [/list][/list]

I could send you my scripts, if you need them.
willim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willim »

Franky444 wrote:Use Opera browswer. It has a free built in VPN. I've been using it for a short while. It has servers all over the world. You might be limited to just a few with the free version. The paid version has many more servers to connect to. I like it. I hope you will too.
I sit corrected :) ... yahoo mail just came out in the Netherlands so there are at least :D two VPN server sites :D - there may be more :lol:
Profsmith

Post by Profsmith »

Guys, thank you all for your comments and tips, I'll be making a decision end of next month.

Cheers

Steve
BigAngry

Post by BigAngry »

I wouldnt recommend a free VPN, since when a service is free then YOU are the product. I cant really suggest a good one though, I used PIA in the past, but the support has been getting progressively worse and I decided to renew with them. From what I gathered NordVPN is pretty decent but I have never used it so I cannot suggest it. They do have a free trial period so you can try that if you like.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

I've used (Paid For) a few in the past (VPN4ALL, ProXPN, HideMyAss).

Has anyone had any experience with Windscribe?
https://windscribe.com/

I came across them the other day and thought they looked promising.

Comments?
araknafobia

Post by araknafobia »

How about hosting your own cloud based VPN?

https://www.arubacloud.com/vps/virtual- ... range.aspx -> They provide a server with 2TB/month data transfer for only 1 Euro!
+ you can setup your openvpn with ready-to-run scripts in 30 seconds.

I am using the server and this script https://github.com/thedewil/openvpn-droplet for 8 months and just work fine! I got %80 of my bandwith when on it and I think it is better than most of the paid services.
I like this idea so much beacuse it is very very simpe to setup. Even the ordinary computer users can do it by learning just a few simple bash commands! On the other hand, it can not be blocked. In my country, Turkey, goverment started to block the vpn services and this approach almost unblockable. They can not block the single machine or the whole ip range of cloud computing company, right? (at least for now).

Also find this one but did not tried myself yet:
https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
HilltopsGM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HilltopsGM »

araknafobia wrote:How about hosting your own cloud based VPN?

https://www.arubacloud.com/vps/virtual- ... range.aspx -> They provide a server with 2TB/month data transfer for only 1 Euro!
+ you can setup your openvpn with ready-to-run scripts in 30 seconds.

I am using the server and this script https://github.com/thedewil/openvpn-droplet for 8 months and just work fine! I got %80 of my bandwith when on it and I think it is better than most of the paid services.
I like this idea so much beacuse it is very very simpe to setup. Even the ordinary computer users can do it by learning just a few simple bash commands! On the other hand, it can not be blocked. In my country, Turkey, goverment started to block the vpn services and this approach almost unblockable. They can not block the single machine or the whole ip range of cloud computing company, right? (at least for now).

Also find this one but did not tried myself yet:
https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
That looks pretty interesting araknafobia.
Have many looked at the script?
I don't know much about the code and would feel better about it if there were several that could vet the code.

I as asking if anyone had any experience with Windscribe as they appear to have more than just a straight VPN service.

I'm still hoping to hear from others on it.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

HilltopsGM wrote:I as asking if anyone had any experience with Windscribe as they appear to have more than just a straight VPN service.

I'm still hoping to hear from others on it.
Here's a link to a discussion about them on AirVPNs forum. The founder of windscribe joined in the conversation.

I know one person at work who bought into windscribe a few months ago when they had a deal going on. He has no complaints, fast, very few drops,etc.. I would of bought into then too, if I didn't already have two vpn's. The one con is that its based in Canada, a five-eyes country.

Return to “Networking”