easiest way is to install the vpn extension to your browser ,
just go to extensions and search the store ,
" hotspot shield " and " psiphon " are the 2 free vpns i know :idea:

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN

Post by Bara-Bus » Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 am

Hey my 2p or 2 cents worth is NO VPN. The free ones give your data away. The paid ones don't give you full bandwidth when required. They're all crap. Ask yourself why do I need one.

1st doing something illegal? - That's your own affair and showed be frowned upon.
2nd You want to watch free movies? Use a canned computer and just use it until it dies then slap a new OS on and do it again.
3rd Just want to be safe? Well as far as I know Linux is as safe as anything else out there so why bother!

Most people are being deluded into purchasing one. Leave the VPN's to the guys called crims.
That is all!
: Lover of Linux Mint since January 2014
: Supporter of Linux Mint since April 2018

Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rubin_Farr » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am

Bara-Bus wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 am
They're all crap. Ask yourself why do I need one.

1st doing something illegal? - That's your own affair and showed be frowned upon.
2nd You want to watch free movies? Use a canned computer and just use it until it dies then slap a new OS on and do it again.
3rd Just want to be safe? Well as far as I know Linux is as safe as anything else out there so why bother!

Most people are being deluded into purchasing one. Leave the VPN's to the guys called crims.
That is all!
"If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is one of the biggest lies ever told, but apparently some people still believe it. Privacy is important to law abiding citizens as well.

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Rubin_Farr wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am
"If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is one of the biggest lies ever told, but apparently some people still believe it. Privacy is important to law abiding citizens as well.
What privacy. If your on the WWW there is no privacy whatsoever. Delusion is if you think a VPN is going to give you that. Make you happier maybe, out of pocket for no reason definitely. Want to speak to someone secretly use a dedicated mobile app. VPN's are a con for most.
: Lover of Linux Mint since January 2014
: Supporter of Linux Mint since April 2018

fruitkiller
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fruitkiller » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 am

I can easily connect to any VPN service, whether they have a gui or not, I'm able to install openvpn servers one by one, extremely tedious task, but the high quality service I got (I made a top 15 from that huge table with about 100 attributes for each VPN lists, and that's also a very extensive list) and chose from there by throwing a screengrab of the thing, too large to look at normally on the website, anyone will find it if they search for VPN list characteristics or such, then I put that in Pinta and looked at each one, and deleted their range depending on the colum's attribute. They thankfully only have a dozen servers, but even L2TP is configurable on Linux, easily, well easily because they got a guide for that too.

I got a strange problem when connecting to my VPS with openvpn, I have 2 ethernet entries, the onboard 1000/100/10 one, which allows me to get my full speed (500/330)mbps, and a pci ethernet card I bought a long time ago that still works just fine, except it is 100/10, so it won't go higher than 100/100. I like connecting to my VPS because I don't lose as much speed as I do with far-away (and for me, that's most of them except one, I 'm somewhere north at the limit of civilization in a Canadian province's northern area.

Anyway, my VPS connection according to their guide if network-manager-openvpn is of a version older than 2.x or something, works, but no websites work, I need to change my mac addresses to get one of the ethernet cards to work, and by work I mean connect but let me do some HTTP/S, it willl let me connect to IRC, Pidgin, even the facebook plugin for Pidgin, but no browsing. Sometimes randomly it will work when I quickly switch the cable to one ethernet slot to another, then no issues will show up.

The only way I can get it to work is to do it manually, sudo openvpn some commands *.ovpn fille and that's it, it will work, but it's kind of annoying, I do not see the lock on the icon show up. What would make those cards connect but do nothing? I tried on some other PC's and I connected fine immediately, it's weird things often work right away when I change mac addresses for both cards, sometimes I even unplug the ISP's forced-on-you router-modem and do a hard reset and it'll work. I tried using better DNS servers (by using the windows tool made by Gibson, at grc.com, he makes a lot of pretty useful things, I like the random password generators of very high quality on there too), it works fine in Wine or Crossover, now I'm using a DNS that has DNSSEC properties and is faster than the default ones that were in the router, but that doesn't change anything with the VPS' configuration for openvpn and the tls-key file where I follow their instrutions...connects immediately when in Windows 7 too, by the way.

joyang90
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joyang90 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 am

I was also looking for this good thing I search around here and found a good thread for VPN topic. Will bookmark this :) Thanks

Gaugamela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gaugamela » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 am

So I can't connect to the PPTP VPN of my institution. Does anyone know how to properly set up a PPTP VPN?

RobertoR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RobertoR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Bara-Bus wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 pm
Rubin_Farr wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am
What privacy. If your on the WWW there is no privacy whatsoever. Delusion is if you think a VPN is going to give you that. Make you happier maybe, out of pocket for no reason definitely. Want to speak to someone secretly use a dedicated mobile app. VPN's are a con for most.
That there's not so many privacy on the internet is true, that's the problem what many people want to avoid and a VPN will help by that. beginning with that your ISP can not sniff on your traffic or add tracking headers ( Unique Identifier Headers (UIDH) ) to your packets, also its makes for the government difficult to spy on you. And it change you visible IP for the most parties. And if you block tracking and browser fingerprinting you are coming far with being private on the internet.

SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SyncroScales » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Bara-Bus wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 am
Hey my 2p or 2 cents worth is NO VPN. The free ones give your data away. The paid ones don't give you full bandwidth when required. They're all crap. Ask yourself why do I need one.

That is all!
Stop geo-blocking content. E.G.: There are people's videos that have absolutely no copyright mis-use or violations that I have been blocked from watching on social media. Some of the blocking is random and some people I have met made copyright claims and stole money from someones social media page for no reason. They did it for entertainment, when the people trying to take down or block others content have low, middle and upper incomes.

There is news from around the world that certain individuals do not want people to access. Why do they want to hide their criminal behaviour? What do they have to hide? The regular person is committing no crimes.

How safe is Linux when the NSA and "Five Eyes" or Microsoft have developed their own version of Linux and want everyone to have it or it be deployed into the Linux kernel? Why did Windows 10 cost money when everything was data harvested, rented, leased and sold by Microsoft and other businesses?

Everyone should use some sort of security to help filter the internet and try to protect their information or personal things. You might not be able to stop an individual or a corporation from monitoring you. But you can make it harder for them and make them work for it. E.G.: Minimizing or closing off multiple re-routing and re-directing of your web-browser while clicking on a link.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.

d8sconz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by d8sconz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm

I've just posted the solution to my own vpn problem here in case it's relevant to this discussion. I use SoftEther vpn and the linked solution opens a terminal with available servers to choose and connect to. Couldn't be easier. SoftEther is "An Open-Source Free ​Cross-platform Multi-protocol VPN Program, as an academic project from University of Tsukuba" (from their website)

juliejames
Level 1
Level 1

Post by juliejames » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 am

I am Use IPvanish for VPN. its very nice VPN.

Cichletru
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cichletru » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:06 am

I use Surfshark VPN on my browser as an extension and I am happy with it. Maybe there aren't many servers to choose from, but the speeds are good and you can use unlimited devices.

jhalpin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jhalpin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Profsmith wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 pm
Thank you all for your replies, I'm not financial at the moment so I'm putting off a VPN decision.

Regards

Steve
I use NordVPN. If you get the three year deal it works out to $2.75 US per month, And I've been very happy with it. You have to buy the three year package to get this though ($100)

Joe

arvY99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arvY99 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 am

jhalpin wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 pm
I use NordVPN. If you get the three year deal it works out to $2.75 US per month, And I've been very happy with it. You have to buy the three year package to get this though ($100)

Joe
Can only see 1-6-12 month(s) plans... Is there a special link for the 3 years deal?

Return to “Other networking topics”