Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krow7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Post by krow7 »

dan0 wrote: networking is so broken now when I click on network in the caja file manager I get
Could Not Display "network:///"
Caja cannot handle "network" locations

Help
If you completely removed Samba like I did (by removing packages given by Xenopeek viewtopic.php?f=157&t=220688#p1159792) - you removed some packages that were related to networking and that depended on Samba. They will not get installed automatically on installing Samba back.

These are the packages are needed on my system (LM 17) -

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install casper cifs-utils gvfs-backends libaio1 libldb1 libsmbclient libwbclient0 lupin-casper python-ldb python-samba python-smbc samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs samba-vfs-modules smbclient system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
You might not need vlc packages if you do not use vlc.

At this point everything works (if you have latest packages Samba v4.3.9). All you have to do is input your user password when connection to network asks for it.
If you check the "Remember forever" option (last in the image) - then you might have to input the keyring password for your system.

If the new packages (Samba v4.3.9) do not work for you. Then roll back using Xenopeek fix -
Xenopeek wrote:

sudo aptitude install samba-libs=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libsmbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libwbclient0=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 python-samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common-bin=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-dsdb-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-vfs-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 smbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libldb1=1:1.1.16-1 python-ldb=1:1.1.16-1
Then just freeze these packages (from the Xenopeek fix above). So that they do not get updated anymore (else the above fix is useless).

sudo apt-mark hold libsmbclient libwbclient0 python-samba samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs samba-vfs-modules smbclient libldb1 python-ldb
But - the system will ask you for password at least one time a day. The only difference is that you do not need any password for it.

Fix above worked like a charm for me! (Thanks again Xenopeek!)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

dan0 wrote: networking is so broken now when I click on network in the caja file manager I get
Could Not Display "network:///"
Caja cannot handle "network" locations
If you follow krow7's advice this will be covered. If you don't then at least install this:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
And please be specific about what "doesn't work" means.

[1] You are getting a credentals prompt when you didn't get one 6 months ago?
[2] You selected Anonymous and you were denied access?
[3] You passed your own Mint user name and password and it didn't work?

I'll admit it is a curious development but the bug report specifically states that this was successful:
for UNprotected share just use your local ubuntu account credentials (login and password)
And was just verified above by krow7:
At this point everything works (if you have latest packages Samba v4.3.9). All you have to do is input your user password when connection to network asks for it.
[/quote]
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

krow7 wrote: If you completely removed Samba like I did (by removing packages given by Xenopeek viewtopic.php?f=157&t=220688#p1159792) - you removed some packages that were related to networking and that depended on Samba. They will not get installed automatically on installing Samba back.

These are the packages are needed on my system (LM 17) -

sudo apt-get install casper cifs-utils gvfs-backends libaio1 libldb1 libsmbclient libwbclient0 lupin-casper python-ldb python-samba python-smbc samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs samba-vfs-modules smbclient system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
>>>>>>>>SNIP
If the new packages (Samba v4.3.9) do not work for you. Then roll back using Xenopeek fix -
>>>>>>>>SNIP
But - the system will ask you for password at least one time a day. The only difference is that you do not need any password for it.

Fix above worked like a charm for me! (Thanks again Xenopeek!)
Thanks krow7
other than the annoying PW pop up it works
I'm almost afraid to roll back to Xenopeeks fix to remove it
oh, well if I break it Illl be back
thanks again everyone !

dan0
dan0

Post by dan0 »

altair4 wrote: And please be specific about what "doesn't work" means.
I posted the only error message that i received
lothar

Post by lothar »

lothar wrote:I am trying to connect to a Asus router that has a samba share setup to a USB drive. Do you think the Asus router's Samba needs to be updated as well? If that's the case I'm not sure how I would do that. I guess what I'm asking is do you think that the newest release of samba wont communicate with unpatched Samba machines?
Just wanted to close the loop on this, ASUS released a firmware update that patched their samba problem. I was able to finally upgrade to 4.3.9 and have everything work. I really appreciate the help provided here for rolling back to keep my system working until I was able to get the router patched.
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

To be honest I've pretty much given up on getting samba to work for network printing on a mixed windows/linux network for now. I spent a day troubleshooting and nothing worked on one windows printer, including cups. A quick work around was to simply set up google chrome cloud print. 5 mins work by comparison.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

I rolled back to Xenopeeks fix a couple of weeks ago
seems to always connect with no PW pop ups
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

sikejsudjek wrote:To be honest I've pretty much given up on getting samba to work for network printing on a mixed windows/linux network for now. I spent a day troubleshooting and nothing worked on one windows printer, including cups. A quick work around was to simply set up google chrome cloud print. 5 mins work by comparison.
Had another go - and some success. Deleted all windows homegroups, set up a user and password on windows 7 to connect to. All the wired pc's will connect shares and printers. However the wifi connected laptops still can't print, unless they go via a linux machine that is connected via a wired connection. Seems some sort of weird authentication problem - it can ping the machine but when printing nothing happens even though the same authorisation works on the wired pc's.

Return to “Networking”