Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates 4-18-2016

Post by JayBird707 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:57 am

May the Linux Gods smile brightly on Xenopeek for his code post my machine is back to normal!

Also to thank is Vilis for the warning about the ldb update.

So I think I may have to change my name from "JayBird707" to "MrUpdateParanoid".

The people on this forum are "THE BEST"!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:58 am

@mintchoc

That won't work with the latest update of samba which is why I suggested a cifs mount.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

mintchoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintchoc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:17 pm

OK, update--now I feel silly, because that rollback DID work, after all. I started to use another Linux box and noticed that it wasn't connecting so I did a reboot of the Windows 7 box, and then retried the laptop in question and I was able to connect. So I repeat xenopeek's rollback fix DID work. Thank you VERY much! - mintchoc

dan0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dan0 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 am

altair4 wrote: Great. Now to avoid having to do this on every boot you can do the following:
>>>snip
** And add the following line to the bottom of it:

Code: Select all

//192.168.2.101/users/Public/Videos /media/PubVideos cifs guest,noauto,user 0 0
The way this will work is that when you open caja you will see a link on the side panel pointing to PubVideos and when selected it will automatically mount your share to that mount point and display it's contents.
When you want to unmount the share just right click the link in caja and choose Unmount. No more terminal
thanks for the help
even though your method allowed me to see my share and contents when I tried to copy move or delete anything I was met withthe credentials pop up box (which I cannot get past)
thanks again

dan0

dan0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dan0 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:18 am

xenopeek wrote:There are currently 16 bugs reported about Samba update to version 4.3.8 causing all kinds of problems like you describe in this topic.
>>>SNIP
A workaround would be to downgrade to an earlier version.
>>>SNIP

As an alternative I also found an earlier version in the repositories, 4.1.6. That is quite a bit older and would be missing fixes for earlier Samba vulnerabilities but this is easier to install. You can install the lot with this single command:

sudo aptitude install samba-libs=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libsmbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libwbclient0=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 python-samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common-bin=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-dsdb-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-vfs-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 smbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libldb1=1:1.1.16-1 python-ldb=1:1.1.16-1
BTW, apt and apt-get are both too stupid to handle this downgrade correctly. Use aptitude for downgrading.
This fix is working for me
thanks xenopeek
I've told the update manager to ignore samba and ldb updates for the time being
It's much more important to me to have a working network than a broken secure one :shock:
thanks again

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just read your posts and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Food for thought:

Why are any of you using MS Windows and a Windows Media Server and Samba, when you do not have to?

Forget Windows Media Center: Use a Free Linux-Based Media Center System (2013)
http://www.howtogeek.com/163376/forget- ... er-system/

Anyone could easily install Linux Mint or another Linux distribution, including a Linux Multi-Media Server distribution, in a short amount of time, and access it through other networking means without using "Samba" at all, connecting to the server using "SSH", "DLNA-UPnP", "NFS", even through your browsers Http/Https?

There are numerous excellent Multi-media servers & players available to use, like "Kodi (xbmc), "Plex" Home Theater, "Showtime", and "PS3 Media Server" that can be installed in Linux Mint to make it a media server.

There are also Linux Distributions that you can download and install a full media-server ready to go, like:
Kodibuntu (XBMCbuntu) is a combination Kodi/operating system for use on PCs that are mainly just running Kodi. It is an alternative to installing Windows or a larger (and sometimes more complicated) Linux-based OS.

OpenELEC Mediacenter, GeeXboX, etc...

linux multimedia server
https://www.google.com/#q=linux+multimedia+server

linux multimedia server distro
https://www.google.com/#q=linux+multime ... ver+distro

Kodi/xbmc distro
https://www.google.com/#q=xbmc+distro

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Vilis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:30 am

xenopeek wrote:As an alternative I also found an earlier version in the repositories, 4.1.6. That is quite a bit older and would be missing fixes for earlier Samba vulnerabilities but this is easier to install. You can install the lot with this single command:

sudo aptitude install samba-libs=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libsmbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libwbclient0=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 python-samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common-bin=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-dsdb-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-vfs-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 smbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libldb1=1:1.1.16-1 python-ldb=1:1.1.16-1
Here are the two offending Ubuntu security updates, either one of which for me prevented access to a Windows computer in my local network:

Package____________________________________________Old version___________________New version

ldb
Python bindings for LDB.______________________________1: 1.1.16-1ubuntu0.1____________1:1.1.24-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

samba
Shared library for communication with SMB/CIFS servers___2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.13___2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.2

I am running Mint Cinnamon 17:2, and I successfully avoided infection by these two files by UNCHECKING their "upgrade" boxes in Upgrade Manager when running upgrades in my two heretofore not infected computers in my local network. My third Mint Cinnamon 17.2 PC got initially infected, but I restored it to functionality by copying and pasting and running xenopeek's fix in my Terminal window.

dan0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dan0 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:07 am

phd21 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just read your posts and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Food for thought:

Why are any of you using MS Windows and a Windows Media Server and Samba, when you do not have to?
cause the wife and kids know how to use the remote with MediaCenter :lol:

mintchoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintchoc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 am

Just as you should have diversity in investments, you should invest in diversity in the tech world to keep in touch with what's going on. This Samba issue demonstrates how we need to be able to connect among different platforms. Not to mention that I already paid for a license for Windows 7, so I'm not going to throw it away. - Mintchoc

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

To Dan0,
dan0 wrote:
phd21 wrote:Hi Everyone,
Food for thought:
cause the wife and kids know how to use the remote with MediaCenter :lol:
That's funny, and I can understand that. You can use remote controls with the Linux based options as well, some have multiple options for this. You can also use the cordless mini Keyboards (WiFi or Bluetooth) available at places like Amazon.com. Tip for remotes and keyboards with children, or clumsy adults, or just in case of an accident, you can wrap them in plastic wrap (Saran wrap) to make them spill & dirt resistant.

To mintchoc,
mintchoc wrote: Just as you should have diversity in investments, you should invest in diversity in the tech world to keep in touch with what's going on. This Samba issue demonstrates how we need to be able to connect among different platforms. Not to mention that I already paid for a license for Windows 7, so I'm not going to throw it away. - Mintchoc
Diversity, in a good way, is a good thing.

Unless you are a computer person, or a Techie, the average user does not really need, or care, about keeping in touch with all of that techie stuff, just as long as what they want, or need, to use works and continues to works for them.

It is very well known, that Linux Operating Systems are much more secure than other Operating Systems, like Ms Windows which "Samba" networking is mostly used for connecting to. If your system(s) are connected to the internet, which is likely with multi-media servers, then it is appropriate to make sure they are secure. If it is Ms Windows based, that means installing Anti-Virus, Anti-malware, Firewall, and keeping them up to date. It also means running the anti-malware anti-virus stuff weekly or more. With the exception of the Firewall, you do not need to install or constantly update anti-virus and anti-malware programs, or to run them frequently in Linux for your system(s) to be secure. This saves Linux users an incredible amount of time and effort and headaches.

I do not know of any updates that have ever crashed (stopped) "SSH" networking, or DLNA (UPnP), do you? (Not sure about this with "NFS").

It is also likely that most of us paid for our computers and the operating systems that came with them. I did, but when MicroSoft quit supporting XP Pro, I decided it was time to try another computer operating system. I knew about Linux and had some experience with it. Then, I found these incredible free Linux Mint operating systems, with free long term support, that are much more secure, and I have not looked back since.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:36 pm

I vote that someone in charge set this to [SOLVED] and close it. The original poster has resolved his issue:
dan0 wrote:This fix is working for me
thanks xenopeek
I've told the update manager to ignore samba and ldb updates for the time being
It's much more important to me to have a working network than a broken secure one :shock:
thanks again
There is an official Ubuntu bug report on this issue: After Samba upgrade can't access unpassworded windows share

In fact in comment #12 it lists two approaches to dealing with it that references this very thread:
Here are 2 fixes from the forums -

First - viewtopic.php?f=157&p=1159792#p1159792
Second - viewtopic.php?f=157&p=1159792#p1159877

Hope this helps someone!
This first is xenopeek's "Get me the $#&@ back to the way it used to work" approach. The second is my " You know there is another way to do this in Samba and it may have advantages" approach.

To the user that is looking for an answer to this problem I suspect that is enough diversity.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

DarkNova
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkNova » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:30 pm

This affects many people and is still outstanding so I don't know why it would be closed. First of all, a downgrade to a version with security holes cannot seriously be considered a "fix". Secondly, a CIFS mount does not fix the problem in all scenarios, such as if you try to print to a printer being shared by a Windows machine. In that case it needs to use Samba, not CIFS, so you cannot use the CIFS workaround to get CUPS working, the only resolution will be a fix to Samba.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:42 pm

the only resolution will be a fix to Samba.
No argument there. If it is a Samba issue. It may be something else like ... oh I don't know ... say ... libsoup.

Mint can't fix it. Ubuntu should not have included it in their updates without testing it. And Samba should have tested it against the current Ubuntu system in the first place.

In any event this was a support question and his question has been answered.

Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin66 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:19 am

I just saw the problem today, when I tried to copy a file on an old WinXP computer (never connected to internet since XP updates ended) to my main Mint 17 computer using Samba via ethernet.
I had it bookmarked in caja and had no problems with access when last tried some weeks ago.
The CIFS solution suggested in an earlier post worked fine for me.
I did not want to revert to earlier Samba version. Hope it gets fixed soon.

dan0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dan0 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:00 am

altair4 wrote:I vote that someone in charge set this to [SOLVED] and close it. The original poster has resolved his issue:
I'm using a work around. I would Not consider it solved until samba has been fixed

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:30 pm

dan0 wrote:I'm using a work around. I would Not consider it solved until samba has been fixed
I believe the best reason for leaving the topic open is not simply to keep reminding folks that the issue is unresolved - but that, hopefully, someone in this community will become aware of the true (Ubuntu/Samba) fix as soon as it is announced and then relate that to us by updating this thread. At that time the "Solved" tag would be most appropriate and the proper attention-getter.

That's just my opinion - but since I'm a "Double-L" (Linux-Lightweight) I don't scour Linux tech announcements and might not otherwise learn of a fix for this problem.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:35 pm

I agree. I'm a Mint newbie also and this is the place where I come for advice. I'd never know the problem was solved unless I saw it here.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

rjr6860
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjr6860 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:12 pm

I tried the rollback and now I cannot even open the network folder. Linux thinks it's a program icon. I will have to reload the Distro. This is the second time. Once again Linux make me want to go back to windows. I love the speed of Linux but too many problems.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 pm

rjr6860 wrote:I tried the rollback and now I cannot even open the network folder. Linux thinks it's a program icon. I will have to reload the Distro. This is the second time. Once again Linux make me want to go back to windows. I love the speed of Linux but too many problems.
you didn't really saw what you were trying to do - give some more information.

also - - most users on this Forum - have ditched the Windows System, for the same reason that you gave:
- - too many problems - - it's very bloated - - it's very buggy -- too many virus's etc etc
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

GingerNinja69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Post by GingerNinja69 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:09 am

Thankyou Xenopeek! Your fix worked perfectly first time. I was able to identify the packages involved but not how best to downgrade them.
I use Mint in a corporate environment and this really caused me a problem as I need to connect to many SMB shares. Recently updates have been excellent which lulls you into a false of security that they'll always work without a problem. Lesson learned - next time for anything essential to my work, I'll upgrade the virtual box instance of Mint and test! Unless you are looking at firmware updates this should always show up any issues with the software. It's basic stuff but every now and again something like this comes along as a reminder that best practise works.

Return to “Other networking topics”