[PPTP VPN] Ask for password AND username.

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alpha Bootis
Level 1
Level 1

[PPTP VPN] Ask for password AND username.

Postby Alpha Bootis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:53 am

I'm trying to set up a pre-configured PPTP VPN connection in a user-agnostic manner, with that I mean I want it to ask for a username and password prior to connecting.
The configuration wizard seems to assume it's always the same user that will be connecting as the only option you have in this general area is to ask for a password, implying the username is always the same.

Can this be changed, if yes, how, if no, is there some other client that supports this?
Asking for credentials is standard behavior for the Windows client which the users are used to, i'd prefer to emulate that behavior as opposed to creating connections for every conceivable user. (which, apart from the initial setup work is a dynamic variable so this also has implications for the management side of things...)

Alpha Bootis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [PPTP VPN] Ask for password AND username.

Postby Alpha Bootis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 am

Bump post, this is still something i'd like to device an elegant solution for. Maybe someone has come across this now?
I'm aware PPTP VPN on Linux is a bit of a thingy but cards dealt and such.

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [PPTP VPN] Ask for password AND username.

Postby phd21 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi "Alpha Bootis",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Can you please be more specific or at least as specific as you can be. What type of VPN server are you trying to connect with, personal or business VPN server, a VPN provider's servers, etc... What does "pre-configured" mean in this instance?

You can tell the Network Manager under edit VPN connection where you enter the Password to not store that and then it will always ask.

If you setup various user accounts in your Linux Mint system, then that will provide other options...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Other networking topics”