Connect DOS to Mint

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dreamofgilgamesh
Level 1
Level 1

Connect DOS to Mint

Post by Dreamofgilgamesh »

Dear group, I hope you can help me out with this one. I've been playing with an old 90's vintage PC that i've installed DOS 6.2 on. I'm attempting to connect it to my Linux PC and i'm almost there.

I can ping my Linux box and my Wife and Daughter's Window 7 boxes. I can ping a web site and get its I.P address back. I can also ping the DOS box from the other PC's.
However, I can't see the DOS PC from any of the other PC's. I can however see it listed in my router as "unknown" Any idea on how i can make the DOS PC visible at all.
I have an idea it's something to do with a "NET" command. If i type C:\NET VIEW \\MARTIN-LINUX on my DOS PC it returns "SHARED RESOURCES AT \\MARTIN-LINUX and then shows a shared folder i made. But how do i see the contents of the folder and share them?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Connect DOS to Mint

Post by BigEasy »

From DOS side it is simple:

Code: Select all

C:\>net use f: \\MARTIN-LINUX\SHARE
C:\>dir f:
Make Linux folder shared is simple too, but for Windows network...
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Dreamofgilgamesh wrote: I can however see it listed in my router as "unknown" Any idea on how i can make the DOS PC visible at all.
I have an idea it's something to do with a "NET" command.
Windows computers make their name known to others in the network using the WINS service. On Mint, the nmbd daemon runs by default for the same purpose.
What I can find on the MS-DOS client, is that it only queries names of other computers with WINS, it does not register its own name. This may explain why the DOS computer is an unknown device in your router. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750214.aspx)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Dreamofgilgamesh
Level 1
Level 1

Oh thank you so much chaps, it's getting late now but I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Dreamofgilgamesh",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you can provide more information on this DOS computer's hardware, that would help, like system memory (RAM), graphics card (and its memory), CPU processor, hard drive size, etc... You might even be able to use a Linux OS, maybe even Linux Mint Xfce, instead of DOS.

You can easily run DOS programs in Linux Mint using the DOS emulator, "dosemu', which is available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and there is "dosfstools", "mtools".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Dreamofgilgamesh
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks chaps, i gave your advice a go and it works a treat.

Return to “Networking”