Can't connect to a specific network no matter if cable or wifi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aptruswaldo

Can't connect to a specific network no matter if cable or wifi

Post by Aptruswaldo »

I searched a lot before posting this and no other post seemed to help. I'm sorry if this was answered in some place else before.

Without further due, here's my problem:

My life was great, everything was working, I'm loving Linux Mint, etc. Then, suddenly, I can't connect to my college's network anymore. No matter if I try to connect via wifi or cable. It just doesn't work anymore.

But it gets weirder: yesterday after trying several times to connect to it, my computer just gave up on showing the wifi networks available even though it works just fine right now at home.

I don't know if it helps but my PC is an Asus dual boot with Windows 10
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't connect to a specific network no matter if cable or wifi

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please ask if they have made changea in the college netwoek like passwlrs change or any other thing. If changes, set up your parameters accordingly.
Ping your gateway and see if it is reachable from Lann and wireless.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't connect to a specific network no matter if cable or wifi

Post by tovian »

If your networking still works properly at other locations (home, internet-cafe, etc.) then most likely something at the school has changed. Do you have any friends who work for the college? They may be pranking you by blocking your MAC-address. And, there's other reasons why the college might have blocked your MAC-address: they may think you are no longer enrolled, or have used resources improperly, or they may think your computer is someone else's, etc., etc.

If your networking does not work at all then you may have a hardware issue. Also, please verify that your machine is not set up with a static IP (that's one of the quickest ways to lose connectivity that's been working for a long time).
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House

Return to “Networking”