creating wifi hotspot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ssad0763

creating wifi hotspot

Post by ssad0763 »

I have a linux mint laptop that runs on a wireless connection. Its an old laptop so I wanted to convert it into a hotspot. I looked it up online and it shows how to do it while the computer is connected to a wired connection. How can i create a wifi hotspot from my laptop without having to connect it to a wired connection?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: creating wifi hotspot

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "ssad0763",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I have read a lot of these tutorials on this, and I think what they mean for some of these instructions is that you should disable your current WifI connection by unchecking the option in the Network Manager, then create new WiFi hotspot connection per instructions, regardless whether you are connected to a wired internet (Ethernet) connection as the usual instructions state, then re-enable your normal WiFi connection, and it should then reconnect to your normal WiFi connection and automatically connect to the new WiFi "hotspot" which should be available for other devices to connect to. You may need to logout and log back in or restart as well. The 3rd link below claims it can be done without disconnecting the current WiFi connection.

Perhaps these links will help you.
1.) General search results
https://www.google.com/search?q=create+ ... nection%3F

2.) 3 Ways to Create Wifi Hotspot in Ubuntu 14.04 (Android Support)
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ot-ubuntu/

3.) This looks to be the easiest way, but I am already using the KDE desktop, and other Linux Mint editions can use this method as well.

How do I share my "WIFI" (not LAN or wired connection) as an Hotspot in Ubuntu? I also don't want my Laptop WIFI to get disconnected after turning on the hotspot.

See first answer by Mayank Bhushan, Linux User, Written Dec 19, 2015
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-share-my ... he-hotspot

Good Luck... Let us know which method you chose and that works for you.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
leonida

Post by leonida »

if you have wired connection then do this:
1)go to network connections and click "Add"
2)the window will open choose "wifi"
3)connection name set up as you like example:"wifi-connection"
4)SSID:same thing
5)Mode:Hotspot
6)open your terminal and write command "ifconfig" (make sure your wlan in on) and there will be usually 3 subsections find where it writes something like "wl01" and look for HWaddr you should have something like this 74:de:3c:5i:1e:17 -> copy that addres and paste in "Device:"
7)go to wi-fi security ,and chose WPA & WPA2 personal -> set up password
8)iPV4 Settings -> Mode:Shared to other computers
9)Save
and you have you wifi
leonida

Post by leonida »

if you have wired connection then do this:
  • go to network connections and click "Add"
  • the window will open choose "Wi-Fi"
  • connection name set up as you like example:"wifi-connection"
  • SSID:same thing
  • Mode:Hotspot
  • open your terminal and write command

Code: Select all

ifconfig
    (make sure your wlan in on) and there will be usually 3 subsections find where it writes something like "wl01" and look for HWaddr you should have something like this 74:de:3c:5i:1e:17 -> copy that addres and paste in "Device:"
  • go to wi-fi security ,and chose WPA & WPA2 personal -> set up password
  • iPV4 Settings -> Mode:Shared to other computers
  • Save
and you have you wifi
NitasSon

Post by NitasSon »

Hi all,

I've gotten this far with little or no trouble but my final goal is to connect my Apple TV gen 3 to my VPN service. I'm in China right now and one can only watch so much Redbull TV and movie previews. The laptop that's to be the VPN router is an old Toshiba Satellite running 18.3 Sylvia 32 bit on a Celeron processor.

Basically, I want to connect the Apple TV to that WiFi network and turn on the VPN on the lap top so I can Netflix and YouTube on the TV again. Any ideas for the Linux newbie?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hi NitasSon, welcome! Please start a new topic, since this one is too old to be revived; you can link to this one for reference or copy&paste information found here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Networking”