Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LinuxN00b
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Samba Configuration

Postby LinuxN00b » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:53 am

I'm not a veteran user of linux, but I have some experience, I have been trying to get to share folders between a computer running Sarah and another running Xubuntu 16.04 but no matter what I do, it never happens, in the Mint one I get the "Error 255: mkdir failed on directory /var/run/samba/msg.lock Denied permission, and net user share add: cannot convert name "Everyone" to a SID. The connection was refused. Maybe smbd is not working. I did create the msg.lock path manually using the terminal but I still get the net user share error, then I installed the package System-config-samba and the the net user error disappeared but the shared folder didn't appear in the Xubuntu machine, mint machine and the after a reboot trying to make it work both computers don't detect each others and they are in a Lan Network! any ideas? :( :(
Last edited by LinuxN00b on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LinuxN00b
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Samba Configuration

Postby LinuxN00b » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:55 am

PD: I have uninstalled samba in both systems, I'm going to reinstall and try again.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:09 am

Mint has made a bit of a mess with samba in version 18 and as explained in this HowTo: Installing Samba Server in Mint 18 the reason you got this error message:
Mint-Does-Not.png
Mint-Does-Not.png (56.75 KiB) Viewed 819 times

Is because samba is no longer installed by default and they didn't think nemo-share was dependant on it.

As for not seeing the share on the Xubuntu machine you have two choices:

You can do this the Microsoft way: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
Or you can do this the Linux way: Samba Browsing in an all Linux or Linux/OSX network:
... Or you can do this both ways......

If you have any other issues please post the output of the following commands from the Mint machine:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

LinuxN00b
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LinuxN00b » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:57 am

altair4 wrote:Mint has made a bit of a mess with samba in version 18 and as explained in this HowTo: Installing Samba Server in Mint 18 the reason you got this error message:
Mint-Does-Not.png
Is because samba is no longer installed by default and they didn't think nemo-share was dependant on it.

As for not seeing the share on the Xubuntu machine you have two choices:

You can do this the Microsoft way: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
Or you can do this the Linux way: Samba Browsing in an all Linux or Linux/OSX network:
... Or you can do this both ways......

If you have any other issues please post the output of the following commands from the Mint machine:

testparm -s

net usershare info --long

Thank you very much! I did the samba installation as in the tutorial you put first and then did the linux way and now is perfectly working! :D :D

Return to “Other networking topics”