[SOLVED] Problem connecting to smb share from GUI

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexs20

[SOLVED] Problem connecting to smb share from GUI

Post by alexs20 »

Hi All,
I have a router ASUS RT-N66U which is configured to share USB disk. All shares are protected by user/password.
From windows 7 and windows 10 I am able to connect these shares, but not from Linux Mint 18. Caja shows all my shares in network place but when I try to open any of them it shows user/domain/password dialog and after I supplies proper username/password it does not accept it and simply pop-ups again. I also tried to mount these shares from console and it works without problems, so looks like only gui has a problem.
Tried to install Mint18KDE and Mint18Mate, but i am getting the same behavior. From console it works, from gui doesnt.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

---EDIT---
Problem solved by editing
# gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

and adding in [global] section:

client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
juergen

Re: [SOLVED] Problem connecting to smb share from GUI

Post by juergen »

Thank you for sharing this info. 8)
hix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hix »

Sorry but i'm having the same problem (i think), but i do not understand this solution.
Can anyone please elaborate a bit more?

My usb drive is on the router but has no password.I have access to it from android and windows, just on mint it does not show anywhere.
What do i need to do?

Thank you.
Mintywav
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintywav »

I tried this and it worked for me, mostly.

I ran caja as admin and edited the /etc/samba/smb.conf file

By adding in [global] section:

client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

I added a note as to when I made the change.
From what I have read my older ASUS N66W router has an older version of samba that does not like Mints newer version.

Return to “Networking”