Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Seeking SSH VNC from Windows 7 to Mint 18

Post by jimwg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:58 pm

I want to remote desktop control with ssh my old Mint 18 Thinkpad from my old Windows 7 Thinkpad. I can remote desktop to my Linux laptop fine via TightVNC (my Win 7 has BitVise Server installed) but there's no ssh security there. Supposedly TightVNC Java viewer has ssh implemented if you do some elaborate techie tricks using TightVNC Server, which I don't understand because I need a viewer client to securely remote my Mint machine, not a server of course. I'm trying to avoid solutions like TeamPlayer that connect you via their own servers, and I just like the Independence of not going third party so. Is there an easier solution to get TigerVNC or TightVNC to ssh tunnel from Windows 7 to Mint?

Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC

trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Seeking SSH VNC from Windows 7 to Mint 18

Post by trapperjohn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi,

Use putty to make the connection to the Mint machine from the Win machine. Configure the putty connection to tunnel port 5900. Then, once connected to Mint from Windows, open tightVNC on the Windows machine, but connect to localhost:5900 instead of making the connection to the remote machine. See:

http://mark-bishop.net/whitehat.php?page=remote

Return to “Other networking topics”