????? does network discovery actually exist/work ?????

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxreason
Level 2
Level 2

????? does network discovery actually exist/work ?????

Post by maxreason »

I never did have a good memory, but it seems like every time I add a new computer to the local network, or need to change RJ45 cables, many of the connected computers lose track of who/what/where is on the local network and I have to putz around semi-aimlessly until "things work again". Which makes me wonder... are linux and/or windows computers actually capable of network discovery?

The funny thing is, sometimes computers seems to "just appear" in the linux/windows file browsers. And other times it takes me a million years to figure out how to make a computer visible on the local network. And sometimes a computer "just appears" on one or more computers, but takes forever (and infinite fiddling) to make it appear to other computers. Sometimes rebooting a computer will do the trick (but maybe lose the knowledge for another computer).

One of my problems is... my wireless router is always one or two connectors short of having enough RJ45 jacks to plug in every computer [and ethernet printer]. So now and then I need to unplug one and plug in something else. Which means (I'm guessing), this screws up the contents of the "hosts" files in linux and windows that sometimes contain the names and local IP addresses of local computers [and printers].

ALL these problems would be solved if linux and windows were actually capable of looking out there on the network and finding all the other linux AND windows computers... and their current IP addresses.

Is this possible? Can linux and windows be set up in ways that make them "just work" no matter what unplugging and plugging someone has just done? What kind of scheme will be most effective for this situation. Just to make sure you understand my situation, I will list what exists on the network at the moment.

Code: Select all

computer name : workgroup : operating system : connection
#1:  mintmin       : Windows   : linux mint v18.1 : RJ45 into wireless router
#2:  mintmax       : Windows   : linux mint v18.1 : RJ45 into wireless router
#3:  mintoid       : Windows   : linux mint v18.1 : RJ45 into wireless router
#4:  win7          : Windows   : windows 7        : RJ45 into wireless router
#5:  thinkpad      : Windows   : windows 7        : wireless connection via wireless router
#6:  <printer>     : <printer> : <printer>        : RJ45 into wireless router
#7:  variable      : Windows   : windows ?????    : wireless connection via wireless router (random visitor laptop)
The printer is an old Xerox Phaser 6180 color laser printer with RJ45 connector.

As you can see, the 4-input wireless router (that connects into a cable-modem which connects into the internet cable connector on the wall) has at least one too few inputs to host every computer and printer all the time. I suppose the correct solution is to find a 7 or 8 input wireless router so we can leave everything plugged in all the time, and thus be able to have permanent fixed "hosts" files in every linux and windows computer. But hopefully that isn't necessary. Hopefully some guru here will tell me how to make "automagic network/device discovery" work. Possible? What's the best way to handle this kind of situation (on the linux and windows computers)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computer: AMD 7950x : ASUS ROG Crosshair x670e Extreme : 64GB DDR5 : CPU cooler (liquid)
storage: 02TB SSD (nvme0n1) : 16TB HDD (sda) : 16TB HDD (sdb) : 08TB HDD (sdc) : 08TB HDD (sdd)
network: 10Gbps + 1Gbps ethernet + wireless
Linux Mint v21.2
richyrich

Re: ????? does network discovery actually exist/work ?????

Post by richyrich »

What is the DHCP timeout set to in your Router ?
Which means (I'm guessing), this screws up the contents of the "hosts" files in linux and windows that sometimes contain the names and local IP addresses of local computers [and printers].
It's not the machines, it's the Router that loses which machine is connected to which port.

Return to “Networking”