Can't write to SMB Share [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WildPhydeaux

Can't write to SMB Share [SOLVED]

Post by WildPhydeaux »

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit (but also experienced with LM 18.0)

Accessing SMB shares on a ReadyNAS Pro (also publishes the shares as NFS). No security on shares, files owned by nogroup/nobody.
I don't permanently mount the shares, I just have them bookmarked in Nemo.
When it asks me to logon, I can choose Anonymous or the Admin/password of the ReadyNAS admin - doesn't make any difference for the issue I'm having:

I can read/write/delete/execute etc (Octal permissions on all directories/files are 0777) with no problem from Nemo.

From applications, for example PuddleTag, I can open the files but not save changes:

An error occured while writing to /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=pasqua,share=media/Music/801/(1976) 801 Live/01 Lagrima.flac

From Chrome browser, when downloading a file and choosing a save location on the NAS share - if the file is small, like picture.jpg it saves just fine. If the file is larger, say a couple megabytes, the save fails: Failed - download error.

About a year ago I installed Mint 18, replacing Mint 17 but as a fresh install (formatted, clean-slate). This has been the problem ever since. I did not have this problem in Mint 17 and don't recall doing anything special or having to work around any similar issue. I read that Mint 18 doesn't include Samba and thought maybe that was the issue, but installing Samba has not changed anything.

Sorry, this is likely a N00b thing, but I can't seem to surf down an answer...

Cheers,
RLW
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WildPhydeaux

Re: Can't write to SMB Share [SOLVED]

Post by WildPhydeaux »

Like I said in my original post.... N00b thing...

Turns out apps don't care for accessing shares via gvfs. Had to mount the share and all is well.

Cheers,
RLW

Return to “Networking”