[Solved] Is anyone having issues with privateinternetaccess vpn?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ginjabunny

[Solved] Is anyone having issues with privateinternetaccess vpn?

Post by ginjabunny »

It started yesterday (Sat 8th) it connects and works for a minute or so then won't connect to any sites, it is still up, nothing in the system log, I've restarted, changed the server from Southampton then London then Netherlands, all the same result, also tried on my other Mint 18.1 system, exactly the same.
I use the "pia-manager" package that Clem wrote to set it up, all been working ok for the last month (with the odd hiccup).

I'm presuming it's a problem their end, so will leave it for a day or two to see if it resolves.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tsetair

Re: Is anyone having issues with privateinternetaccess vpn?

Post by tsetair »

I just installed it and ran into some issues out of the box as well. I know it does work and the problem is on client side, just today, this user from Canada was using it with no problem, viewtopic.php?f=180&t=243414&p=1301155& ... n#p1301155

I have not had the chance to dig in deep, and play around with it, but, it seems a lot of the issues come from having encrypted home folder, although forums say this has been fixed after a certain PIA package version.

First things first though, you will need to provide the forum with your logs

Code: Select all

nano ~/.pia_manager/log/openvpn.log 
and your system info,

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd
for people to be able to help you. Don't wait this one out, it won't get you anywhere closer. I will be opening a thread myself, if I can't get it to work later on today.

Best of luck,
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

PIA is running correctly this morning on Mint18.1 KDE 64-bit. The client is v66 from the PIA site https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/i ... ller_linux
v68 is now available, but I have not yet updated.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Did you use a terminal to install PIA or just double click the icon ?
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

frank392 wrote:Did you use a terminal to install PIA or just double click the icon ?
I used a terminal, basically following the instructions at the download link in my post above.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

did you use this to install it?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/i ... ller_linux

forget about Clem Script
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

frank392 wrote:did you use this to install it?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/i ... ller_linux

forget about Clem Script
Yes, I downloaded the file from there, and followed the instructions. I have done that with several versions, but not yet with the current v68. I'll test it soon.
I never tried the Clem Script.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

My old "Clem" install still wasn't working this morning, I was watching a download and after a minute of so it just got slower and slower them stopped.
Deleted the PIA definition in Network Settings and uninstalled the pia-manager package via synaptic, then manually installed pia-v68-installer-linux from the privateinternetaccess website following their instructions, seems to be ok, working at the moment and like the fact I get an indicator icon in the notification area.

I have no idea why Clem's pia-manager setup stopped working? Maybe he needs to look into it or update it when they update theirs.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [Solved] Is anyone having issues with privateinternetaccess vpn?

Post by jimallyn »

I just got PIA a week or so ago. No problems on my desktop computer, but I get disconnected fairly often on my phone. I suppose that's because I keep going in and out of range, or switching from phone network to wifi, or something along that line.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Kev1105
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kev1105 »

Is anyone still experiencing the issue with PIA it started the weekend stays connected but after a few minutes nothing loads the log is blank and I can't ping past the router.
I have it installed on my pc Mint 17.3 cinnamon and 18.1 xfce on my laptop which is fine.
If you have fixed it can copy/paste the commands/steps please.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

@Kev1105, sounds like the problem I was having, I installed the latest software from their website, I posted my resolution in here yesterday (see above)
Their download page is here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/p ... t-support/ when you get the linux download it also gives you a step by step instructions page.
kspringer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kspringer »

ginjabunny wrote:My old "Clem" install still wasn't working this morning, I was watching a download and after a minute of so it just got slower and slower them stopped.
Deleted the PIA definition in Network Settings and uninstalled the pia-manager package via synaptic, then manually installed pia-v68-installer-linux from the privateinternetaccess website following their instructions, seems to be ok, working at the moment and like the fact I get an indicator icon in the notification area.

I have no idea why Clem's pia-manager setup stopped working? Maybe he needs to look into it or update it when they update theirs.
I have to agree with the above. I had originally installed using Clem's script. My PIA sessions stopped after about 10 minutes but would work after I stopped and restarted the session. I had to remove Clem's pia_manager setup as stated above and manually installed the most recent linux installer from the PIA website. Also as stated above, it seems to be working and I like the fact that I get an indicator icon.

Nice job solving this everyone!

Return to “Networking”