Cannot see Linux Mint computer from Windows 10 [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot see Linux Mint computer from Windows 10 [SOLVED]

Post by viper37 »

That is weird. It's probably not a Mint problem, but I don't really know...

I can see my shares from Windows. I can see other networked computers on Win10. I can access all my files. But if I want to map a new drive, my LM computer just does not exists.
If I wan to map a new drive, I need to map a drive on my computer, than go to the registry and manually change the key to \\NAS\<full path>.
Upon reboot, my network drives work fine. But I can never see Mint.

Since I created the shares in Mint, I changed the connection from wireless to wired because wireless was too unstable.

EDIT: I'm on a network, I use Samba for my shares. Changing the way I connect to the internet from Mint means the Mac adress of the adapter changed, but I re-used the same IP adress from my router (DHCP).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot see Linux Mint computer from Windows 10

Post by phd21 »

Hi "viper37",

1.) Unless something has changed recently, MS Windows operating systems cannot read or write Linux file systems like "Ext4", although Linux systems can easily read and write MS Windows file systems. But, you can add tools to your MS Windows systems to access (read and or read write) Linux file systems, like "ext4", see link below.

Re: The folder contents could not be display
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=196100&hilit=windows+ext4

2.) As for the networking, you probably have to setup "Samba" on your Linux computers with shares specific to your MS Windows computers and using the Lan network name. There are numerous posts on installing and setting up Samba in this forum.

3.) 3 Great NAS Solutions for Linux
https://www.maketecheasier.com/nas-solutions-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

viper37 wrote:If I wan to map a new drive, I need to map a drive on my computer, than go to the registry and manually change the key to \\NAS\<full path>.
That makes no sense. If it can't resolve the hostname during a "browse" it shouldn't be able to resolve it with a map. There was a bug before Win10 shipped ( I'm in the Windows Insiders program ) that prevented one from browsing for netbios hosts but that was fixed a long time ago.

Since this is Windows 10 we are talking about remember that it can speak mDNS now so open explorer ( the file manager ) and use the mDNS name of your Linux box: \\NAS.local or \\ASUS.local or whatever the host name of your linux box is with a.local attached to the end of it.

Unless you disabled the avahi-daemon service on your Linux box or closed port 5353 you should get a list of your shares.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

altair4 wrote:
viper37 wrote:If I wan to map a new drive, I need to map a drive on my computer, than go to the registry and manually change the key to \\NAS\<full path>.
That makes no sense. If it can't resolve the hostname during a "browse" it shouldn't be able to resolve it with a map. There was a bug before Win10 shipped ( I'm in the Windows Insiders program ) that prevented one from browsing for netbios hosts but that was fixed a long time ago.

Since this is Windows 10 we are talking about remember that it can speak mDNS now so open explorer ( the file manager ) and use the mDNS name of your Linux box: \\NAS.local or \\ASUS.local or whatever the host name of your linux box is with a.local attached to the end of it.

Unless you disabled the avahi-daemon service on your Linux box or closed port 5353 you should get a list of your shares.
typing it manually \\NAS.local in Windows Explorer, works, I can see all my shares and the files inside.
But it never automatically sees the NAS computer. If I close Windows Explorer and re-open it, there is still no other computers than the Windows computer. Refresh and reboot don't change that.

I'll try on another computer once Windows 10 is installed to see if it happens there too.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Win10 cannot automatically display mDNS ( Avahi ) samba host announcements like another Linux box or a macOS box. When Microsoft implemented mDNS resolution they didn't carry it through that far.

You can create a launcher ( desktop shortcut ) to \\nas.local and you can explicitly map to a \\nas.local\Movies but that's as far as you can take it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

altair4 wrote:Win10 cannot automatically display mDNS ( Avahi ) samba host announcements like another Linux box or a macOS box. When Microsoft implemented mDNS resolution they didn't carry it through that far.

You can create a launcher ( desktop shortcut ) to \\nas.local and you can explicitly map to a \\nas.local\Movies but that's as far as you can take it.
Well, it worked yesterday night before I went to sleep... In fact, I redid my shares on Linux and mapped drives on Windows 10 using that method.
My computer is haunted ;)

I (finally) have Windows 10 installing on another computer, I'll see from there if it works. If it does, then the problem is on this machine, and it will get a fresh reinstall of Windows then.

EDIT: Definately a Windows problem for this.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
PNH
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot see Linux Mint computer from Windows 10 [SOLVED]

Post by PNH »

Thank you! I have been looking for the answer to this problem for weeks! It worked for me.

Return to “Networking”