Windows Network/Group but no computers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

Windows Network/Group but no computers

Post by IronRod »

Newly installed Linux Mint 18 and I haven't installed samba yet but intended to do so. But I was surprised that under Network / Windows Network it already shows my <group_name>. How it is getting the groupname if samba isn't installed? Is that just a netbios thing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows Network/Group but no computers

Post by altair4 »

Samba is made up of two parts: the server and the client. The samba server part is no longer installed by default in Mint but the samba client is as it is on most Linux distros.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by IronRod »

altair4 wrote:Samba is made up of two parts: the server and the client. The samba server part is no longer installed by default in Mint but the samba client is as it is on most Linux distros.
From your reply, I understand you are saying the samba client is already installed and that is how it is getting the groupname? If so, then why can it not see any of the computers within it?

I open "Network", and then double-click "Windows Network". After about 10 seconds, it displays a folder with my groupname. When I double-click the group, I eventually get the dialog "Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out." However, there are always a minimum of two Windows systems in this group, each with exposed shares.

Checking for samba from the terminal:

Code: Select all

samba --version
The program 'samba' is currently not installed.
Nor is there any /etc/smb.conf file.

I definitely remember a few years ago when creating an Ubuntu system, I had to install Samba.

Thanks for the help.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You don't need the package "samba" installed to access someone else's shares only to create your own.

This is another issue assuming you meant /etc/samba/smb.conf because that files is used by both server and client:
Nor is there any /etc/smb.conf file.
Why not just install samba in it's entirety:

sudo apt-get install samba --install-recommends
Then follow one or all of these Howto's depending on what other operating systems are in your network:

If Windows is involved: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist

If this is a Linux / macOS network: Samba Browsing in an all Linux or Linux/OSX network

Windows 10 falls somewhere between those two: Win10, Linux, mDNS, and Samba File Sharing
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by IronRod »

altair4 wrote:You don't need the package "samba" installed to access someone else's shares only to create your own.
That is the condition I am seeking. I do not need this system to serve up its own shares, only to access those on other systems.
altair4 wrote:This is another issue assuming you meant /etc/samba/smb.conf because that files is used by both server and client:
Yes, I mistyped the path; there is an /etc/samba/smb.conf
altair4 wrote:Why not just install samba in it's entirety:

sudo apt-get install samba --install-recommends
Then follow one or all of these Howto's depending on what other operating systems are in your network:
That was my original plan but when I saw it already recognized my workgroup it seemed I wouldn't need to do anything else. And your original statement implies I shouldn't have to do anything else if this system will only be a client.

So, I'm back to my original question: If it can see the workgroup, why cannot it see the servers within it?

I'll do some additional checking with the articles you've listed and others I've found.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

So, I'm back to my original question: If it can see the workgroup, why cannot it see the servers within it?
It's a name resolution problem and the HowTo's I listed were written for that problem.
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by IronRod »

I did not need to explicitly install samba for client access.

Opened /etc/samba/smb.conf for editing:

gksu leafpad /etc/samba/smb.conf
Updated workgroup name:

workgroup = <groupname>
Then restarted. It still did not see the servers.

Added the line to specify the name resolution order:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
Then restarted. The servers then appeared directly under Network. I did not have to open Windows Network > <groupname> though they also appear there, of course.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I did not need to explicitly install samba for client access.
As I have said repeatedly. You claimed to have a missing smb.conf file which is the reason I wanted you to install it -- in the manner I wanted you to install it - to insure that the package samba-common / samba-common-bin was installed.
Updated workgroup name:

workgroup = <groupname>
Then restarted. It still did not see the servers.
Nor would it just as I stated in my HowTo:
[6] Workgroup

This isn't necessary if you have a normal home network where everyone is connected to the same router despite some samba howto's insisting that it "must" be done. I have multiple "workgroups" in my LAN and it is not an issue.
Added the line to specify the name resolution order:

Then restarted.
Just as I said in my HowTo:
Rearrange the order to make bcast first by adding a line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf - right under the "workgroup" line:

And restart samba
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by IronRod »

Um, your responses seem like you were offended or annoyed by my reply. I had no intention to offend. I only replied back to this thread to close the loop and confirm it was resolved for anyone in the future who might encounter this same situation. I was not directing my comments to you in anyway. Note that I did not quote you; I only replied to the thread.

You did not "state repeatedly" you stated it once and I responded that you were correct; that I had mistyped it.

Having said, that I definitely appreciate your assistance and directing me to the articles which helped to resolve this.

Return to “Networking”