Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

PIA openvpn Ubuntu/Mint

Postby coffee412 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 pm

I am running the PIA client (GUI) on my mint 18.1 box and it works great. So, Now I am thinking of getting openvpn on my ubuntu server that handles my firewall (shorewall/iptables) / Internet / masq / fileserver and having my whole home running thru it. I have openvpn installed and have spent a lot of time reading and studying how to do it. I have ran into an issue where when connected to the vpn my internet does not connect but the local lan is fine. It also does not port traffic thru the VPN (/dev/tun0). I am mostly sure this is an issue with firewall settings or settings in the config file for connecting to PIA. I used the config file downloaded from PIA to start it up on my server.

So, Basically my only question is - Am I on the right track? If I am going to connect to the PIA server and route my local lan thru it do I use a server setup or stick with client setup? I am assuming client setup but before I really dig in and spend a ton of time I would prefer that I at least be on the right track.

(local lan including wireless) <-------> Ubuntu server <----------> Internet

Thanks,

coffee
Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 64bit [*]- Ryzen x1800 [*] 32 gigs ram[*]RX480-Raid1/5
"I have Ryzen"

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: PIA openvpn Ubuntu/Mint

Postby coffee412 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 pm

UPdate:

Not the best idea to get VPN on the whole network. For others it may be different but with the IPTV service I use they do not like VPNs as its been abused a lot in the past evidently. Also, Our cell phones will be giving us the wrong weather and such - lol.

My understanding from PIA is that you can run it on 5 devices per account. Fine, Ill do that instead. I do have some plans to run a VPN to share files with another friend though. :)
Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 64bit [*]- Ryzen x1800 [*] 32 gigs ram[*]RX480-Raid1/5
"I have Ryzen"

Return to “Other networking topics”