Activating Openvpn

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grabro

Activating Openvpn

Post by grabro »

Hi
I have a bought a month contract with ExpressVPN to try to get a vpn activated.It states that it uses openvpn
which is already installed on my LM17.3(KDE). Can anyone help me activate openvpn and also advise how to
link it to Expressvpn? I have tried running openvpn -config as root but without success.

Thanks anyway
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hrmcrm

Re: Activating Openvpn

Post by hrmcrm »

It would probably be easiest to use the ExpressVPN app for Linux as described on their site at https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-linux. Try the Ubuntu version. Their app will know how to use openvpn.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "grabro",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

To expand upon "hrmcrm" link.

You need to download their archive file of server configuration files, and their archive file of the certificates and key files - see first link below.

In KDE click the network manager icon and in the upper right is the icon for Network Settings where you can import a VPN connection.

How to setup ExpressVPN OpenVPN using Ubuntu Network Manager
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn- ... h-openvpn/

How to set up and use the ExpressVPN app for Linux
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn- ... x/#install

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Tangent

Post by Tangent »

I would ask this in a separate post, but for some reason it isn't letting me create a new topic. I am working with a fresh install of Linux Mint Cinnamon. I am trying to set up my OpenVPN connection to Private Internet Access, which I previously had working perfectly on Manjaro. I downloaded the zip file of the openvpn configurations and setup the connection. When I switch the VPN on under network connections it gives the green light indicator, but under network settings it still says "Authentication required" and it will not connect. I have tried a few different ways to make this work and it still didn't. So i decided to just download the Private Internet Access app and see if that would work better. The app installed fine, but also will not connect. It just turns grey while trying to connect and then sometimes goes back to red (which means disconnected) and sometimes just stays grey.

So now I am wondering that since I have just installed linux mint on this machine is there a process that I need to go through to enable openvpn? It shows it is installed. Is there a privilege I need to grant or any other setup that needs to be done out of the box? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Networking”