[Solved] Nothing shows in iwconfig or ifconfig except...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdanner3

[Solved] Nothing shows in iwconfig or ifconfig except...

Post by rdanner3 »

Only entry in either case is loopback (lo), and the boot process shows problems with loading kernel modules.

Bit of background seems necessary here.
* before all this started, networking worked
* current in-use kernel is marked for complete removal (suspect this is the problem)
* unsure why this is or how to unmark.

How do I correct this problem without an internet connection, or does it require me to do a reinstall?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Nothing shows in iwconfig or ifconfig except...

Post by JeremyB »

I would use the Grub menu at boot, go into advanced options..hope there is an older kernel available to boot into and use it. I can usually use one SHIFT key, hold it during boot and the Grub menu should appear, if you are using dual boot the grub menu should appear on it's own.

You may also be able to fix with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-extra-($uname -r)
and reboot but that will only work if the linux-image-extra file is on the computer
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

JeremyB wrote:You may also be able to fix with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-extra-($uname -r)
and reboot but that will only work if the linux-image-extra file is on the computer
OK, it is becoming apparent that I need at least two more files (headers and image-extra) to correct this. Know where I can manually download the correct versions for Linux Mint? Can get them onto my laptop and install once acquired.

(using my LG-L31L to get answers, and a Win8.1 laptop to download is awkward...)
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

Got it corrected! Downloaded headers, image and extras from kernel.org and installed via sudo dpkg -i l*.deb after copying the three files into the same directory. It worked despite the fact dpkg threw three errors. Now running 4.4.0-92-generic with no issues.

Return to “Networking”