How does SSH offer encryption?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

How does SSH offer encryption?

Post by foersu »

Hello,

I have an understanding problem I hope can be cleared by some networking expert in this forum.

It refers to SSH.
In the very numerous posts and articles to "ssh" in the web it is always mentioned, that SSH provides encryption.
Also it is mentioned, that by creating an ssh-key pair and exporting the public key to a remote server we want to communicate with, it is then not necessary any more to authenticate at the server by means of a password but by means of the key. For security, a pasphrase will be asked in order to activate the public key.

Now my question:
  • which means uses SSH in order to provide the encryption of the user data? Does it generate temporary keys transparent to the user during the SSH session for that?
  • how does the message sequence chart of an SSH session look like?
  • are the keys of the key pair generated by the user involved in the encryption of the user data or are they used only for authentication at the setup phase of a session?
Thanks in advance for answers and hints.

My system:
Linux Mint 18.2 64 bits, Xfce
(Pure Linux, no Windows partition)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How does SSH offer encryption?

Post by catweazel »

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How does SSH offer encryption?

Post by foersu »

@catweazel,

thanx a lot for the link. I started reading it and it seems to fully address my questions!

I thought I had "vastly" scanned the web for articles to SSH, but I did not find the one you indicate.

Regards

Return to “Networking”