SOLVED - Network Manager re-installation in Mint (KDE version)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED - Network Manager re-installation in Mint (KDE version)

Post by KIMW »

I need some help to re-install the Network Manager.
I installed WICD to see if it was a better Network Manager than the regular one, but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it.
Now I have difficulty to reinstall the regular Network Manager in Mint (KDE version).
I tried many different things. I ran:
sudo apt-get install network-manager
sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome network-manager
And many other things, but nothing worked.
Actually I think the Network Manager is perhaps running in the background because when I run:
nmcli dev
I get:
Screenshot_20170820_195520.png
I don't see the Network Manager icon (which I think it's called applet) in System Tray. And strangely enough when I run:
nm-applet
A Network Manager icon (or applet) appears temporary in System Tray BUT that Network Manager is NOT the one I used to have before. So I don't quite understand what is going on...

Otherwise, I was thinking to reinstall manually the Network Manager with .deb packages but I cannot find them here.

Before installing WICD I removed the Network Manager, but I did not remove the config files, perhaps it can be of some help.
My system is:
Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Last edited by SMG on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Locked to prevent new posts on this old, solved topic.
Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 5.2.7
Laptop: Dell Latitude-9410. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
hrmcrm

Re: Network Manager re-installation in Mint (KDE version)

Post by hrmcrm »

KIMW wrote:I removed the Network Manager
How did you do that?

I think you are right in
Network Manager is perhaps running in the background
I get

Code: Select all

howard@HP-GB-LM182KDE ~ $ nmcli dev
DEVICE  TYPE      STATE      CONNECTION         
enp3s0  ethernet  connected  Wired connection 1 
tun0    tun       connected  tun0               
lo      loopback  unmanaged  --                 
howard@HP-GB-LM182KDE ~ $
on a system running Mint 18.2 KDE 64-bit with default Network Manager installed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Right-click the panel and select Panel Options > Panel Settings

Mouse over the system tray and select the spanner icon that pops up on the system tray.

Under General, ensure Communications is checked.

Under Entries, ensure that the visibility of Networks is set to Auto.

Click Ok or Apply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

I just ran sudo apt autoremove and libnma-common libnma0 was uninstalled. So now this part:
And strangely enough when I run: nm-applet. A Network Manager icon (or applet) appears temporary in System Tray BUT that Network Manager is NOT the one I used to have before.
does not happen anymore.
Last edited by KIMW on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laptop: Dell Latitude-9410. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

catweazel wrote:Under Entries, ensure that the visibility of Networks is set to Auto.
I actually checked that also yesterday but there is NO "Network" entry.
-
hrmcrm wrote:
KIMW wrote:I removed the Network Manager
How did you do that?
I think it was:
sudo apt-get remove network-manager-gnome network-manager
or
sudo apt-get remove plasma-widget-networkmanagement network-manager
For the second one, if I remember well, I think I got a message saying: Package plasma-widget-networkmanagement is not available, but is referred to by another package. and so I ran it again with what that new reference, but I can't remember what it was.
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

No one got a solution??
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

I found the solution by myself. If anyone faces the same issue do the following.

Launch Synaptic Package Manager, find your Network Manager package, right click on it, select Mark for Reinstallation, then select Mark Recommended for Installation and select whatever is needed (highlighted). For me it was network-manager-gnome and plasma-nm. Then "Apply".
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SOLVED - Network Manager re-installation in Mint (KDE version)

Post by screenshot »

i think my autoremove command also removed the cinnamon greeting application or something, so wonder how could i get everything back again? (inc. the network manager)
so i basically only have a blank screen or the tty1 and system recovery options...
(lmde2)

Return to “Networking”