[SOLVED] 18.1 -> 18.2 No more local network (smb)

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mywayfr
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] 18.1 -> 18.2 No more local network (smb)

Postby mywayfr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:15 am

Hello,
On 18.2 cinnamon I no longer have access to the windows7 machine in the local network ....

18.1 (only smb client side) does not get any trouble, on Nemo with the network icon I see all computer in the local network and the Windows machine, I create favorites for the most used folders on this machine having registered the Windows login credentials.

Update to 18.2 no more local network get an an error message "Obtaining the list of shares of the server failed"
Trying manually in Nemo "smb: // .....", asks for the identifiers then same error message
I checked the firewall and opened the ports used by samba, and also try to install the full samba without success.

I also tested a "fresh" install of 18.2 same issue, so wipe all and back on a "new" 18.1 and it works again ....

The 1K$ question is: That is worth the pain to upgrade from 18.1 to 18.2 or stay with my working 18.1 and wait for the next release to try....

Also if anyone have a link to get info, how-to, tutorial... of the client side smb config, will be gratefully received :)

Do other users have the same experience?

Thank you :)
Last edited by mywayfr on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asrock z170 - Intel i5 6600K - Skylake
1 HDD Samsung 300GB
1 HDD Western Digital Black 3T
Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon - Kernel 4.10

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Re: 18.1 -> 18.2 No more local network (smb)

Postby altair4 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 am

If 18.1 works and 18.2 doesn't I'd stick with 18.1 or move on to Ubuntu.

Since Windows is involved here you might want to go through the checklist: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

mywayfr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mywayfr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks you altair4 for your reply.

Yes I'd stick with 18.1 and do not get Ubuntu because I like Cinnamon and the work done on the core Mint :)
1 HDD Samsung 300GB

allanr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby allanr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:45 am

If you've exhausted altair's excellent advice in Installing Samba Server in Mint 18, and How To - Simple File Sharing in Mint,
have a look at thread Error connecting windows share SMB, UFW & kernel 4.8, in particular the post by peter_szekeres. His solution worked for me.

It seems that 18.2 (default 4.8 kernel) with Samba and firewall enabled (UFW) do not play nicely together and interfere with shares. Previously, 18.1 (with 4.4 kernel) was ok.

My concern is that this (type of) issue will deter Windows users at the first hurdle. You'd expect file sharing to work pretty well 'out of the box', but with Mint it's becoming a complicated and involved process which detracts from an otherwise excellent OS.

mywayfr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mywayfr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Hello allanr,
Many thanks for your post and advice, I've to check the post "[SOLVED] Error connecting windows share (SMB, UFW & kernel 4.8)" and also the link for making persistent iptable rules.
That's right the post from Peter could solve the issue.
So be glad to work on a open no traceable os :)

Cheers from Belgium :)
1 HDD Samsung 300GB

marchey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marchey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am

Hi,

I struggled with this problem too after installing Linux Mint 18.2 (KDE). I have some experience with linux but I have been using another distribution before, not even debian based, so I search for a long time, trying out whatever solution I found in the fora. Even when I got it working so tat I could see the workgroups and the computers in these workgroups, I had problems connecting, especially with my Synology NAS.
In the end, what worked for me was:
-install samba; the fact that the network folder in Dolphin shows a samba folder doesn't mean that samba has been installed
-add the standard rules for samba in ufw with the firewall Configuration App
-give the NAS a fixed address in the router
-add a rule (advanced) in ufw to allow everything IN fom this fixed address
-install the iptables-persistent package to make sure that the rules stick

Marc

Return to “Other networking topics”