Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Can't access certain websites

Postby Apollonius » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I installed Mint about a month ago... since then I think, I can't access the following websites:

1. linuxmint.com
2. distrowatch.com
3. community.linuxmint.com

I have tried so many times! :(

It could've been because of my Internet speed, but it's obviously not- I can access a lot of heavier websites just fine. The same problem I face on my Windows 7.

Also, the odd part is that, I was able to access the official Mint website, but not distrowatch.com a couple of days ago; now it's the same as before- I can't access either.

Here's the error messages I get when I try to access then from my Mint:

1. On Firefox

2. On Chrome

What's the problem here? Anything that has to do with my Internet connection?(It has to be, or I could access from my Windows!)
Last edited by Apollonius on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't access certain websites

Postby JoeFootball » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Apollonius wrote:Anything that has to do with my Internet connection?(It has to be, or I could access from my Windows!)

Given that you're experiencing the same behavior with two different operating systems, it would suggest that the issue is upstream from them. e.g., your router, your ISP, etc.

Can any other device connected to the same router access these sites?

Joe

Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Apollonius » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I am using broadband internet, using an ethernet LAN cable that's directly connected to my PC... so I am not using this connection to connect to the Internet on another device, i.e. I can't verify whether another device can connect using this line!

And I corrected a little bit- I also haven't been able to access the community website since installation too!

Another point, sometimes the Antivirus software on my Windows 7 alerts me that an "ARP cache poisoning attack" event has been blocked, and one other type of blocked-event notification... do you think this has got something to do with what's happening here?

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JoeFootball » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Apollonius wrote:I am using broadband internet, using an ethernet LAN cable that's directly connected to my PC... so I am not using this connection to connect to the Internet on another device.
... sometimes the Antivirus software on my Windows 7 alerts me that an "ARP cache poisoning attack" event has been blocked ...

For clarity, are you saying that you're not using a router between your PC and the Internet?

What happens if you enter this in a terminal window...

Code: Select all

ping -c 5 distrowatch.com

Joe

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Apollonius wrote:I can't verify whether another device can connect using this line!

It doesn't matter if you can't connect another device. If the problem also occurs in Windwoes then the problem isn't in Linux Mint.
Mint Donor #6036
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

karlchen
Level 17
Level 17

Postby karlchen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Hello, Apollonius.

The fact that at any point in time only one computer can be connected to your broadband modem cannot really prevent you from testing whether another computer using this broadband connection can connect to the websites which are inaccessible to you.
In a not so far away past, I still used a DSL modem which had no wifi interface and just a single ethernet interface. But I had two computers, a desktop machine and a notebook.
And here is the unbelievably simple trick how I connected both machines to the DSL modem:
I unplugged the desktop machine and plugged in the notebook. Vice versa I unplugged the notebook and plugged in the desktop. Life can be so simple. Seriously. :wink:

Could the inability to connect to particular websites be caused by the DNS server which your systems, Mint and Windows, are using?
You might check on both which DNS server they query.
You might add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the DNS server list.

You might check whether the commands

nslookup linuxmint.com
and

nslookup linuxmint.com 8.8.8.8
return different IP addresses. - They should not. If they do, your primary DNS returns false answers.

You could lookup the IP address of linuxmint.com and enter this in the addressbar of your browser. Provided the website is reachable using the IP, then the root cause of your problem is malfunctioning DNS service.

Best regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Apollonius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 am

JoeFootball wrote:What happens if you enter this in a terminal window...

Joe

I got the following output:

PING distrowatch.com (82.103.136.226) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- distrowatch.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4033ms

Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Apollonius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:18 am

karlchen wrote:You might check on both which DNS server they query.
You might add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the DNS server list.

You might check whether the commands

nslookup linuxmint.com
and

nslookup linuxmint.com 8.8.8.8
return different IP addresses. - They should not. If they do, your primary DNS returns false answers.

You could lookup the IP address of linuxmint.com and enter this in the addressbar of your browser. Provided the website is reachable using the IP, then the root cause of your problem is malfunctioning DNS service.

I received the following output:

apollonius@Sakib ~ $ nslookup linuxmint.com
Server:      103.41.213.2
Address:   103.41.213.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   linuxmint.com
Address: 192.124.249.9

apollonius@Sakib ~ $ nslookup linuxmint.com 8.8.8.8
Server:      8.8.8.8
Address:   8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   linuxmint.com
Address: 192.124.249.9

karlchen
Level 17
Level 17

Postby karlchen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 am

Hi, Apollonius.

Thanks. I had already concluded from your "ping distrowatch.com" result that DNS failure might not be the root cause. distrowatch.com got translated into the IP address, but actually sending pings to the IP address failed nonetheless.
If you had not mentioned your broadband modem, I would have asked whether you were sitting behind a company proxy server perhaps.

Regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Apollonius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:36 am

So what's causing this problem? Any possible way to get rid of it?

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi "Apollonius",

You can try changing your local ISP connection's DNS server IP addresses to safe secure ones from a DNS provider to see if that makes a difference, you should restart you computer afterwards.

openDNS - instructions on changing DNS server IP addresses.
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

There are other DNS providers as well, like "dns.watch", Opennic, freenom world, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Apollonius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:09 am

phd21 wrote:Hi "Apollonius",

You can try changing your local ISP connection's DNS server IP addresses to safe secure ones from a DNS provider to see if that makes a difference, you should restart you computer afterwards.

openDNS - instructions on changing DNS server IP addresses.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=157&p=1359998

There are other DNS providers as well, like "dns.watch", Opennic, freenom world, etc...

Hope this helps ...

The link you just provided is most probably wrong... would you kindly check?

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 am

Hi "Apollonius",

You are correct, somehow the link changed when I pasted it in this forum. Here is the correct link. The instructions will work for any DNS Server IP addresses you want to use from "OpenDNS", or other DNS providers.

OpenDNS - Setup Guides - click Computer Workstations (desktops) and laptops for configuring those, then look for Linux Mint. If you want to change your hardware router, click Home Routers...
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Apollonius
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Apollonius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks phd21 for the link...

Unfortunately, even though I'm connected to the internet, my network manager shows that I have "no connection". I set up my connection from the terminal, using the following command:

pppoeconf

I've been browsing the internet flawlessly since then, with my network manager telling me that I don't have any internet connection! :(

So I set up my DNS addresses from the terminal by editing the resolv.conf file, but it's being overwritten every time I restart! :( :(

Return to “Other networking topics”