Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
urdrwho
Level 1
Level 1

Mint sees MS workgroup but wants a password

Postby urdrwho » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 am

When I view networks on my mint I can see the MS 7 workgroup that was set up on the desktop. But when I go to open a folder Mint asks for a password to access the workgroup. I don't use a password on the MS 7 workgroup. In my house it is me, my wife and my 24 year old son so I don't have a phobia about who can see what.

How do I access the MS 7 folders without a password?

I haven't set up Samba shares. Years ago when I was using Kubuntu I set up Samba. Took a while and when it finally worked I had no idea what I did to all of the sudden make it work.

I did a search and found that someone used this and it worked for them. sudo smbpasswd -a <network name>. I tried it and got nothing. Maybe it is a coincidence but today Mint ins't even seeing the MS7 workgroup on the network.

I don't know but it would be nice to get it working.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint sees MS workgroup but wants a password

Postby altair4 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

How do I access the MS 7 folders without a password?

You don't.

You can create a user on the Windows machine for samba purposes and use that one. I use smbuser and give it a password of smbuserpw.

Some folks actually use their Linux user name and password which sounds a little odd but it does work. In some cases the Linux user name will have to added to the samba password database:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a linux-user-name

And of course if all you have on the Windows machine is a HomeGroup none of this will work as there is no such thing as a HomeGroup in Linux or any other operating system other than >= Win7
Maybe it is a coincidence but today Mint ins't even seeing the MS7 workgroup on the network.

You might want to check out item [4] of this howto: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

urdrwho
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint sees MS workgroup but wants a password

Postby urdrwho » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 am

Ok some things are returning to memory of previous file sharing between my windows and linux.

On linux I changed some file permissions and now windows network can read, access and change those files on linux. I have not figured out how to get linux to do the same. I read the link but will need more time to digest it. I'm currently working and then playing on linux.

Don't get me wrong I love linux but again I find that windows network is easier to set-up. With minimal effort I windows has the ability to manipulate files on linux but going the other way seems to take a lot more effort. For security that is a good thing (I guess) but in a home environment it is a bit of a PITA. :)

Or maybe the greater issue is that woindows is the one blocking the entire issue????

Return to “Other networking topics”