Mint sees MS workgroup but wants a password

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Mint sees MS workgroup but wants a password

Post by urdrwho »

When I view networks on my mint I can see the MS 7 workgroup that was set up on the desktop. But when I go to open a folder Mint asks for a password to access the workgroup. I don't use a password on the MS 7 workgroup. In my house it is me, my wife and my 24 year old son so I don't have a phobia about who can see what.

How do I access the MS 7 folders without a password?

I haven't set up Samba shares. Years ago when I was using Kubuntu I set up Samba. Took a while and when it finally worked I had no idea what I did to all of the sudden make it work.

I did a search and found that someone used this and it worked for them. sudo smbpasswd -a <network name>. I tried it and got nothing. Maybe it is a coincidence but today Mint ins't even seeing the MS7 workgroup on the network.

I don't know but it would be nice to get it working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint sees MS workgroup but wants a password

Post by altair4 »

How do I access the MS 7 folders without a password?
You don't.

You can create a user on the Windows machine for samba purposes and use that one. I use smbuser and give it a password of smbuserpw.

Some folks actually use their Linux user name and password which sounds a little odd but it does work. In some cases the Linux user name will have to added to the samba password database:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a linux-user-name
And of course if all you have on the Windows machine is a HomeGroup none of this will work as there is no such thing as a HomeGroup in Linux or any other operating system other than >= Win7
Maybe it is a coincidence but today Mint ins't even seeing the MS7 workgroup on the network.
You might want to check out item [4] of this howto: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Ok some things are returning to memory of previous file sharing between my windows and linux.

On linux I changed some file permissions and now windows network can read, access and change those files on linux. I have not figured out how to get linux to do the same. I read the link but will need more time to digest it. I'm currently working and then playing on linux.

Don't get me wrong I love linux but again I find that windows network is easier to set-up. With minimal effort I windows has the ability to manipulate files on linux but going the other way seems to take a lot more effort. For security that is a good thing (I guess) but in a home environment it is a bit of a PITA. :)

Or maybe the greater issue is that woindows is the one blocking the entire issue????
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jontrv »

Maybe a bit late for the OP, but the answer may help others.
Windows is fussy, it will not allow anyone to access any share from another machine, whatever the OS, without a username and password.
If acceptable in a security context, you can modify windows user profiles to have a password that never changes, but the user logon does not require that user to enter a password to login.
Thereafter, if a matching username/password pair from any OS tries to access that share remotely they will have whatever access permissions the host OS grants to that username on that share.
Whether you are accessing from Linux or winwoes becomes irrelevant. If your Linux password is different (as it should be!, and changed frequently) you will get a password dialogue as you have seen.
If your security requirements dictate a frequent password change across multiple machines you need some sort of centralised security management, which needs to be something that winwoes understands.... (Yech.. AD? wash my mouth out!)
JT:

Return to “Networking”