Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ogborne
Level 2
Level 2

DSL vs CABLE

Postby ogborne » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I have used mint for several years and love it. I have always used cable for internet and it works fine for both flavours of the mint 17 that I use. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and each year I face an increase in price. What started out 5 years ago at $40. per month has increased to $83. Centurylink is DSL and has offered me a guaranteed price for life of $45. per month.

Centurylink says their 40 mbps speed is much faster than my current 15 mbps of cable. I can't find much info on DSL for mint. Here are some questions I hope can be answered.

Is it possible to have computers setup for both cable & dsl, in order to compare them?
Is anyone in the forum using DSL?
Is DSL setup more complicated than cable setup?
Has anyone had experience with both DSL and cable using mint?

I can expect no help from centurylink using mint. They are not familiar with linux. They like most other providers are only experienced in windows and apple.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Re: DSL vs CABLE

Postby michael louwe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:50 pm

@ ogborne,.......

You should go for the cheaper ADSL Internet package plan. It makes little difference which OS you use to connect to the Internet via your ISP. I have used Windows and Linux to connect to my ISP's ADSL without any problem. Of course, the ADSL router has to be set up properly, initially by the ISP's technician, eg ...
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/ ... net-access
... Users should change the router's default Admin password, disable WDS/WPS, disable Remote Management and set Wifi encryption mode to WPA2-Personal with a strong Wifi password.

For some info about Cable vs ADSL, please refer to ...
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Int ... vs_dsl.asp
https://www.lifewire.com/dsl-vs-cable-b ... son-817539

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wallyUSA » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 am

ogborne wrote:
Is anyone in the forum using DSL?
Is DSL setup more complicated than cable setup?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

@osborne: DSL is the only option where I live. It should make no difference what OS you use. The ISP delivered and installed the router/modem. The only difference might be the speed. We had only 3 mbits for years. Last year they upgraded to 25 mbits which seems to work just fine. In November, we should be upgraded to 100 mbits so I should be in good shape!
Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 3.6.6 Kernel 4.10.0-40 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the title.

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kc1di » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 am

It would be a hassle to try and compare cable with dsl because they use different modems.
But I've used both in the past and there was not much difference in them.
I only can use cable in my current situation. I would go for the DSL in your situation.
But watch out for hidden fees. like modem rental. other hidden fees. make sure your comparing apples with apples.

ogborne
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ogborne » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 am

To Michael Louwe

Thanks very much for the links provided and advice given.

To: wally USA

It's good to know someone who is using Mint with DSL without problems. Thanks

Return to “Other networking topics”