Run OpenVPN from Windows config file.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpongeBob

Run OpenVPN from Windows config file.

Post by SpongeBob »

Hello people,

I have an OpenVPN server running on a Windows machine and few other Windows machines how connect to this OpenVPN server.

I would like to copy the necessary files (that I have already)
  • User certificat
  • CA certificat
  • Private key
  • TA.key
on mymint-18.2-xfce-32bit machine and run it easy. How can achieve that (I'm a newbie in linux)

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SpongeBob

Re: Run OpenVPN from Windows config file.

Post by SpongeBob »

I advance a little on my problem, so i try to make the connection trough the mint gui.

I receive a message that the connection is well established but in fact she is not.

I post the problem on the OpenVPN forum: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24901

Fell free to respond there or here.

Thank you in advance.
SpongeBob

Post by SpongeBob »

So i've made a new windows OpenVPN server (from scratch) with the last release (2.4.4)

Windows to windows machine it's work perfectly.

When I try to connect From my Mint machine (18.2-xfce-32bit) to this new Windows OpenVPN server I receive those error (server log) ->

[quote=server log(IP hidden)]Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: packet HMAC authentication failed
TLS Error: incoming packet authentication failed from [AF_INET6]::ffxx:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx[/quote]

I disabled the TCP/IP v6 protocol on both on my machine windows ->
and it's work.

I have disabled the TCP/IP V6 protocol in my vpn config on my mint machine also.

in my server config I have enable

Code: Select all

compress lz4-v2
But I don't found the equivalant in the GUI in Mint

So how can I edit this file ->

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/testovpn/testovpn

I think my OpenVPN config is inside, but unfortunatly when I try to open it I get ->

And like I'm a noob under linux I don't know how force it to read/write it

Thank you people.
SpongeBob

Post by SpongeBob »

I manage to open the "config" file
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/testovpn/testovpn

but inside they are thing that I never saw with OpenVPN like

cert-pass-flags=1
service-Type=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn
So I don't know if this config file for the GUI handle compress lz4-v2 and under new Openvpn features...

Did someone have a link how to launch OpenVpn as client from Mint from a normal .conf (config file) ?

Thank you.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SpongeBob",

Did you update your Linux Mint system's openvpn client? You can use the link below for doing that.
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

You should be able to Import your VPN (.ovpn) file which you should have created from your OpenVPN server along with your certificate and key files, from within the Network Manager icon in your system tray. But, because you have customized the VPN server, you probably have to customize (edit) the VPN client server connection to match that, Choosing the correct "Connection Type", add your login information, browse to your specific certificate and key files, such as going into the Advanced option to add your TLS key and Key Direction is usually "Client1". In Linux Mint 18.x this would be done automatically from a good ".ovpn" configuration file during the Import VPN process, except for editing the connection to add your login information.

Also, you might have to add a Linux software Firewall Rule for this as well. You can easily check if you need a firewall rule by temporarily disabling the Linux software Firewall.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Networking”