Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SpongeBob
Level 1
Level 1

Run OpenVPN from Windows config file.

Postby SpongeBob » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello people,

I have an OpenVPN server running on a Windows machine and few other Windows machines how connect to this OpenVPN server.

I would like to copy the necessary files (that I have already)
  • User certificat
  • CA certificat
  • Private key
  • TA.key

on mymint-18.2-xfce-32bit machine and run it easy. How can achieve that (I'm a newbie in linux)

Thank you.

SpongeBob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Run OpenVPN from Windows config file.

Postby SpongeBob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:18 am

I advance a little on my problem, so i try to make the connection trough the mint gui.

I receive a message that the connection is well established but in fact she is not.

I post the problem on the OpenVPN forum: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24901

Fell free to respond there or here.

Thank you in advance.

SpongeBob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SpongeBob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 pm

So i've made a new windows OpenVPN server (from scratch) with the last release (2.4.4)

Windows to windows machine it's work perfectly.

When I try to connect From my Mint machine (18.2-xfce-32bit) to this new Windows OpenVPN server I receive those error (server log) ->

[quote=server log(IP hidden)]Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: packet HMAC authentication failed
TLS Error: incoming packet authentication failed from [AF_INET6]::ffxx:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx[/quote]

I disabled the TCP/IP v6 protocol on both on my machine windows ->
and it's work.

I have disabled the TCP/IP V6 protocol in my vpn config on my mint machine also.

in my server config I have enable

Code: Select all

compress lz4-v2

But I don't found the equivalant in the GUI in Mint

So how can I edit this file ->

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/testovpn/testovpn

I think my OpenVPN config is inside, but unfortunatly when I try to open it I get ->

And like I'm a noob under linux I don't know how force it to read/write it

Thank you people.

SpongeBob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SpongeBob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 pm

I manage to open the "config" file
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/testovpn/testovpn

but inside they are thing that I never saw with OpenVPN like

cert-pass-flags=1
service-Type=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn

So I don't know if this config file for the GUI handle compress lz4-v2 and under new Openvpn features...

Did someone have a link how to launch OpenVpn as client from Mint from a normal .conf (config file) ?

Thank you.

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi "SpongeBob",

Did you update your Linux Mint system's openvpn client? You can use the link below for doing that.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

You should be able to Import your VPN (.ovpn) file which you should have created from your OpenVPN server along with your certificate and key files, from within the Network Manager icon in your system tray. But, because you have customized the VPN server, you probably have to customize (edit) the VPN client server connection to match that, Choosing the correct "Connection Type", add your login information, browse to your specific certificate and key files, such as going into the Advanced option to add your TLS key and Key Direction is usually "Client1". In Linux Mint 18.x this would be done automatically from a good ".ovpn" configuration file during the Import VPN process, except for editing the connection to add your login information.

Also, you might have to add a Linux software Firewall Rule for this as well. You can easily check if you need a firewall rule by temporarily disabling the Linux software Firewall.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Other networking topics”