Cannot access internet when trying to tunnel my network connection through Whonix Gateway VM. help needed please.

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
capernicus
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot access internet when trying to tunnel my network connection through Whonix Gateway VM. help needed please.

Postby capernicus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 am

Hello all at Linux Mint Forums..

Id really appreciate some help in regards to configuring my Linux mint 18.2 virtual machine VM to connect and tunnel my internet connection through my other Whonix gateway VM.
I know this is possible, but i cannot get access to the internet using linux mint when i try to connect through whonix tor connection.
I've read up on how to do this on various sites and guides including here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Other_Operating_Systems.
but I still cannot access the internet when I try to connect through whonix gateway.

Can somebody with experience of doing the above please kindly explain to me how to do this correctly.
im having trouble correctly configuring my

linux mint kdesudo kwrite /etc/network/interfaces connections.

and also my

kdesudo kwrite /etc/resolv.conf
connections.

could someone kindly let me know what I should be writing in :
kdesudo kwrite /etc/network/interfaces
and
kdesudo kwrite /etc/resolv.conf

to be able to connect and tunnel my network connection through whonix tor gateway network connection, please ?

Thanks in advance to any help given.

capernicus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot access internet when trying to tunnel my network connection through Whonix Gateway VM. help needed please.

Postby capernicus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 am

id still appreciate help here, please.

capernicus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot access internet when trying to tunnel my network connection through Whonix Gateway VM. help needed please.

Postby capernicus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm

BUMP I still need help with this please.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Just a suggestion but you might want to ask your question on the Ubuntu forum. It's a hundred times bigger and there is a greater chance you will find someone with knowledge of the unique set of circumstances you described in your original post.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Postby JeremyB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm

altair4 wrote:Just a suggestion but you might want to ask your question on the Ubuntu forum. It's a hundred times bigger and there is a greater chance you will find someone with knowledge of the unique set of circumstances you described in your original post.

He already did and if Linux Mint users choose to post there do so in the correct forum https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=453

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm

JeremyB wrote:
altair4 wrote:Just a suggestion but you might want to ask your question on the Ubuntu forum. It's a hundred times bigger and there is a greater chance you will find someone with knowledge of the unique set of circumstances you described in your original post.

He already did

Found it. The mistake he made was mentioning Mint. The Ubuntu forum not only has 100 times more forum members it has 100 times more moderators all of them with an almost religions zeal to put things in their proper place.

His question was moved to the Mint subforum. No one will look at it. Had he said he was using Kubuntu 16.04 it would have ended up in the Networking subforum.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Postby JeremyB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 pm

I think capernicus should see what support options are available from Whonix gateway VM

If someone knew anything about it on UF they would have posted as there still is a link in the main support forum..for 2 more days
I know this because I am the moderator on UF that moved it to the Mint subforum and people do help there if they can

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:22 am

JeremyB wrote:I think capernicus should see what support options are available from Whonix gateway VM

Since another moderator at Ubuntu forums sent him here I suspect that is the best advice:
oldos2er.png

Edit: That's not working very well either so far: https://forums.whonix.org/t/how-to-corr ... ction/4334

phd21
Level 14
Level 14

Postby phd21 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 am

Hi "capernicus",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This is a rather unique question which you may not get an answer that you want here. I did notice that there are a few tutorials on YouTube regarding this that may help though.

Good luck ...

Search results including YouTube videos
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Whonix+gateway&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Postby JeremyB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 pm

If the computer is using PCI devices for internet, the settings have to be made on the host OS or somewhere in the VM settings if it is possible.
I had VMware on a laptop with Windows 7 and tried Ubuntu in a VM, the internet worked right away as a virtual ethernet card from the bridging done by the VM software as I was connected to wifi in Win 7. If you use a USB wifi adapter you can normally give control of them to the guest OS in a VM

Return to “Other networking topics”